Jazz Music Thread

Listened to this again while doing stretching and weights this morning.

Wonderful live recording.

Brilliant interplay and improvisation.

8 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

I wonder if Red ever got the recognition he deserved. I hardly see young piano players mention him.
I love those albums and this one;

13 Likes

I rather like the Grant Green version on the Matador LP
51BUK-C0UeL.SL1500

7 Likes

My copy of that Red Garland on the Bergenfield NY labels has track timings and tempos marked on the back. I think someone must have used it for a dance class !

‘Night of the Cookers’ gets a lot of stick in many parts but I think it’s great !

1 Like

Nice to see GG playing a Gibson ES330, which I assume is the same one as shown on the cover of First Stand.

1 Like

On LP.

2 Likes

I know your preference is for Digital Audio but I think that version of the Matador sleeve is only on the Music Matters LP which is excellent.
The regular sleeve, please correct me if I’m wrong is this one

6 Likes

Hard bop classics-

q

7 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t know as I don’t have that one. I was just commenting on the sleeve image as it’s not common to see pro guitar players playing an ES330.

BTW I do play records now and again, maybe one a fortnight or so - got to justify the investment!

Cheers Clive, why would that be? I dont know much about guitars

It was launched as a low cost student guitar. That said, one of my favourite jazz guitarists, Emily Remler, played an ES330 for much of her career until she was sponsored to play a Borys.

1 Like

Well I guess a good musician ought to be able to make even a budget instrument sound good. No good having a top of the range guitar if you play with ten thumbs.

December 1963
Englewood Cliffs, NJ
originally released on BlueNote
SACD on Analogue Productions

Booker Ervin - tenor sax
Jaki Byard - piano
Richard Davis - bass
Alan Dawson - drums

4 Likes

A Borys? :sweat_smile: :rofl:

Here’s Emily with her Borys:

3 Likes