Jazz Music Thread

4 Likes

Coltrane - John Coltrane Quartet - Impulse GDR, RM (1997)
A mixed bag for me this one I absolutely love side 1 but not so much side 2 where for me Coltrane strays into his habit of over playing but the good bits are top draw Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison and McCoy Tyner are inspired as ever.

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

44: Grant Green: Idle Moments (Blue Note)
St Louis guitarist Grant Green was prolific during two separate stints at Blue Note and, as
his 29 albums for the company reveal, he recorded in a wide range of settings. Arguably
the best of his LPs during his first tenure with the label – when he played hard bop – Idle
Moments was recorded in 1963 and finds Green leading a sextet that includes tenor
saxophonist Joe Henderson, pianist Duke Pearson (who composed two of the songs on
the album, including the sublime but subdued 14-minute title tune) and vibraphonist
Bobby Hutcherson. Unlike some guitarists, Green never tried to overpower the listener
with elaborate or flashy runs but preferred to pick out single-note melodies that stayed
within the boundaries of good taste. Despite his economy with notes and judicious use
of space, ‘Jean De Fleur’, a fast, self-written swinger on Idle Moments, shows that Green
could play with fire when the occasion demanded.

Key song: ‘Idle Moments’

Enjoy

Dave

15 Likes

For extras another highly rated Grant Green album…

AllMusic Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine [-]

Mosaic released a four-disc box set titled The Complete Blue Note With Sonny Clark in 1991, rounding up everything that the guitarist and pianist recorded together between 1961 and 1962. Blue Note’s 1997 version of the set, The Complete Quartets With Sonny Clark, trims Mosaic’s collection by two discs, offering only the quartet sessions (the Ike Quebec sessions, Born to Be Blue and Blue and Sentimental, are available on individual discs). In some ways, this actually results in a more unified set, since it puts Green and Clark directly in the spotlight, with no saxophone to complete for solos, but it doesn’t really matter if the music is presented as this double-disc set, the four-disc box, or the individual albums – this is superb music, showcasing the guitarist and pianist at their very best. All of the sessions are straight-ahead bop but the music has a gentle, relaxed vibe that makes it warm, intimate, and accessible. Grant and Clark’s mastery is subtle – the music is so enjoyable, you may not notice the deftness of their improvisation and technique – but that invests the music with the grace, style, and emotion that distinguishes The Complete Quartets. Small group hard bop rarely comes any better than this.

Enjoy

Dave

11 Likes

Another fascinating Richard Williams piece about mid 60s London Jazz and the intersect with the emerging rock and pop scene.

https://thebluemoment.com/2021/01/02/group-sounds-four-five/

2 Likes

9 Likes

2 Likes

June 2009
Charlestown, Massachusetts
CD on AUM Fidelity

Joe Morris, guitar
Jim Hobbs, alto sax
Timo Shanko, bass
Luther Gray, drums

3 Likes

1 Like

Really enjoying this EP.

New layers of sound are opened up playing it on my new system.

I saw them play live in Manchester last year to the film Koyannisquaatsi, but I never realised that this EP was that music - GoGo Penguin’s interpretation of the Philip Glass score.

5 Likes

Found a reissue from 2016 of this great album today.
Mtume Umoja Ensemble ‎– Alkebu-Lan - Land Of The Blacks (Live At The East)
I were told that its “Brutal, and filled with fire…”
That is so true.
Full Force!

Ah! That will bring sunshine to wet miserable day.
Looks like a selection on Qobuz.
I had the original lp with the yellow cover.
Nimage

Hi @jazzman22

I didn’t know the Alan Broadbent Trio so listen’d to your recommendation. Absolutely my style of jazz; I love the album. Thanks for posting

Cheers
Iver

1 Like

Alan Broadbent has recorded frequently with Charlie Haden too, esp. Quartet West. There’s plenty to explore.

3 Likes

Listened to this again while doing stretching and weights this morning.

Wonderful live recording.

Brilliant interplay and improvisation.

8 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes