Jazz Music Thread

3 Likes

I have been on the Naim forums for close to 20 years - and I never clicked on Music Room until this past weekend. What a revelation! (all those hours wasted reading threads about neurotic hifi worries when I could have been finding more great jazz!)

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread - some stuff is not to my taste, but I have found some real gems. Happy New Year!

11 Likes

7 Likes

Masterfulimage
And they did it a second time.
Superior I think to the Basie- Oscar Peterson collaborations.
No flim flam.Every note just where it should be.
I suppose Bill and Thomas Waller were the inspiration for many of the Blue Note organistas.
RB as fine as ever.
LB keeps out of the way.
On Qobuz.
N

5 Likes

Great album.

That’s 3 of my desert island albums right there!

9 Likes

Does any member have Hank Mobley’s self titled first album?

Yes on my harddrive. Great album as well. But my favorite Mobley albums are Soul Station / Roll Call / Workout

2 Likes

Hank_Mobley_Quartet

AllMusic Review by Ron Wynn

This debut of Mobley on Blue Note includes Horace Silver on piano and Doug Watkins on bass, plus someone named Art Blakey on drums.

Streaming on Qobuz FLAC 192kHz 24bit

Does that count?

Dave

5 Likes

Thankyou… was looking at vinyl…I hear its pretty rare.

I add Bobby Hutcherson Oblique and Mr. Shing to Lou Donaldson’s Ling

Hi @Neilb1906
Music Matters
Dont have this one but all the Music Matters re issues are/were superb, now getting very pricey but very good sound & pressing

Or did you mean this self titled sextet session for Blue Note which I do have on Music Matters LP

This 1957 project simply titled Hank Mobley, in addition to fine contributions from trumpeter Bill Hardman and the great pianist Sonny Clark, is particularly special due to the playing and compositions of altoist Curtis Porter. Porter, who was later known as Shafi Hadi, is best remembered for his association with Charles Mingus but he sounds even more inspired and passionate on this album than he did with the explosive bassist. And with Hank Mobley in exceptional form, the result is a rare classic.

For many listeners, “Hank Mobley-1568” is an album that utterly defines hard bop and the Blue Note label. It is no wonder that an original copy of this LP fetches five figures

5 Likes

Yes… the second lp is the one I was referring to.
Interesting and many thanks

Well it’s still showing in stock on the Music Matters website, their now asking $50 plus shipping. It’s expensive but if you want it on a top sounding vinyl pressing…

1 Like

Posted this on the Best Jazz Of 2020 thread.
If you love the original Time Out album, you must hear this…
Bloody marvellous!

6 Likes

My god I didn’t know this one! How’s it possible? Thanks![quote=“Dreadatthecontrols, post:2682, topic:2050, full:true”]
Hi @Neilb1906
Music Matters
Dont have this one but all the Music Matters re issues are/were superb, now getting very pricey but very good sound & pressing

Or did you mean this self titled sextet session for Blue Note which I do have on Music Matters LP

This 1957 project simply titled Hank Mobley, in addition to fine contributions from trumpeter Bill Hardman and the great pianist Sonny Clark, is particularly special due to the playing and compositions of altoist Curtis Porter. Porter, who was later known as Shafi Hadi, is best remembered for his association with Charles Mingus but he sounds even more inspired and passionate on this album than he did with the explosive bassist. And with Hank Mobley in exceptional form, the result is a rare classic.

For many listeners, “Hank Mobley-1568” is an album that utterly defines hard bop and the Blue Note label. It is no wonder that an original copy of this LP fetches five figures
[/quote]

2 Likes

Don’t you just love the Gateway albums! I think they recorded four with ECM but I might be missing one or two…great band!

This one was recorded December 1994 in NYC
CD on ECM

6 Likes

One of my favourite jazz albums is the sound track to Last Tango in Paris. Gato Barbieri at his finest.

@Peet @Neilb1906
Greetings guys.
All Music Matters are out of print, some on the website are showing as still in stock but MM have got greedy and hiking prices of what’s left and already eye watering prices are being asked on the collectors market.
I would recommend bagging these while you still can, at 50 USD their still relatively cheaper than the prices of other remaining titles.
IMO you cant go wrong with these, AAA mastered and cut from original master tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearent and pressed at RTI with gatefold Stoughton Tip On Sleeves.
(Incidentally, the current Tone Poet Blue Note series continues in a similar standard where MM left off.)

2 Likes

GREAT DUO BY THE “DUKE”

7 Likes