Jazz Music Thread

Another superb succinct piece by Richard Williams as so often using his own experience to add texture and context.

3 Likes

A bit of plagiarism there on the cover design !

3 Likes

Middleweight champion of the tenor saxophone-

One of the key musicians of the 1960s-

One of the best in the COLTRANE catalog published by PRESTIGE

12 Likes

Art Farmer - remixed by Rudy Van Gelder

3 Likes

Broadcast this morning on BBC Radio 4:

Dave

4 Likes

Thanks. A Christmas Day treat.

2 Likes

Most will know Dominique Miller from his collaboration with Sting. His solo-albums are second-to-non though. The other album is through a recommendation in a magazine
Iver

Diana Krall - Christmas Songs

5 Likes

1 Like

Wife at church so:

The Creator Has a Master Plan.

My kinda religion.

3 Likes

A welcome good programme amidst the recent dross on that channel.

1 Like

Red Garland Trio, with Paul Chambers (bass), Art Taylor (drums)-

10 11 12

11 Likes

Great 2LP recorded live in Hornchuch.

1 Like

12yr old malt and relax.

9 Likes

Yup, that’s a brilliant series of gigs.

I’ve posted a set of links to some of the YouTube videos of the concerts of the 70s on a Miles Davis thread, in case these are also of interest.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll dig the thread out.

Hi @ditton66, thanks for posting. I am a big fan of the Red Garland Trio. The albums you mention are all outstanding. Lovely choice !
Iver

1 Like

All three wonderful albums. I personally think that Soul Station is Mobley’s best album
Iver

7 Likes

Thank’s’
In my opinion,
All the “graduates” of the Miles Davis ensembles received an excellent education … :wink:

1 Like

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

9: Miles Davis: Bitches Brew (Columbia)
At the end of the 60s, the ever-restless Miles Davis sought to change his musical
direction again. Eyeing new sonic horizons and showing an interest in rock and funk
aesthetics, he began using electronic instruments and creating expansive grooves driven
by a backbeat. A first major milestone in this development was the epochal Bitches Brew,
a sprawling double-album released in 1970. Using a large ensemble that included British
guitarist John McLaughlin and three electric keyboardists (Joe Zawinul, Chick Corea and
Larry Young), Davis set in motion the fusion movement that dominated jazz thinking in
the 70s. Much of the music was shaped in post-production, heavily edited by Miles’
producer, Teo Macero, but Bitches Brew became hugely influential, ushering in the age of
jazz-rock. Now almost half a century old, it still sounds like the music of the future.

Key song: ‘Spanish Key’

Enjoy

Dave

11 Likes