Jazz Music Thread

3 Likes

I wonder if Red ever got the recognition he deserved. I hardly see young piano players mention him.
I love those albums and this one;

13 Likes

I rather like the Grant Green version on the Matador LP
51BUK-C0UeL.SL1500

7 Likes

My copy of that Red Garland on the Bergenfield NY labels has track timings and tempos marked on the back. I think someone must have used it for a dance class !

‘Night of the Cookers’ gets a lot of stick in many parts but I think it’s great !

1 Like

Nice to see GG playing a Gibson ES330, which I assume is the same one as shown on the cover of First Stand.

1 Like

On LP.

2 Likes

I know your preference is for Digital Audio but I think that version of the Matador sleeve is only on the Music Matters LP which is excellent.
The regular sleeve, please correct me if I’m wrong is this one

6 Likes

Hard bop classics-

q

7 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t know as I don’t have that one. I was just commenting on the sleeve image as it’s not common to see pro guitar players playing an ES330.

BTW I do play records now and again, maybe one a fortnight or so - got to justify the investment!

Cheers Clive, why would that be? I dont know much about guitars

It was launched as a low cost student guitar. That said, one of my favourite jazz guitarists, Emily Remler, played an ES330 for much of her career until she was sponsored to play a Borys.

1 Like

Well I guess a good musician ought to be able to make even a budget instrument sound good. No good having a top of the range guitar if you play with ten thumbs.

December 1963
Englewood Cliffs, NJ
originally released on BlueNote
SACD on Analogue Productions

Booker Ervin - tenor sax
Jaki Byard - piano
Richard Davis - bass
Alan Dawson - drums

4 Likes

A Borys? :sweat_smile: :rofl:

Here’s Emily with her Borys:

3 Likes

Currently playing Emily Remler - Catwalk

3 Likes

Really regret not picking up those Remler Concords on vinyl back in the day. They all need reissuing !

2 Likes

We were campaigning to have the albums rereleased through the allthingsemily.com website. Sadly, even that website has now disappeared and I’m unable to contact Lu Enterline who was running it. If you use Facebook you may be able to connect with Lu, who I believe still makes some of the features available there. On the allthingsemily website there were very many live video links and audio recordings of live shows. There were also recordings of lessons which Emily had given as well as transcriptions of several of her recordings. Fortunately, I have all the albums in vinyl and/or CD formats, but some of the albums are now attracting silly prices. It’s such a shame that as her recordings become more scarce I fear her exceptional talent will fade from memory.

2 Likes

It would make a good project for Mosaic Records - sadly, I guess Concord/Universal would be unlikely to licence a set.

1 Like