Jazz Music Thread

20210106_113455

7 Likes

I understand Eugene Wright left us recently.
The other three had already split the coil.
N

2 Likes

Sadly true.

RIP

Dave

I wasnt aware of that, on 30 December aged 97.
Respect RIP

2 Likes

I’m currently spinning this one on vinyl: Duke Ellington & John Coltrane on Impulse! IMP-166. It’s a fairly recent pressing from the US, but sounds really good and isn’t pressed madly off centre, which is a bonus…

8 Likes

For half the price too.
I only have one MM left, Ike Quebec - Blue and Sentimental single disk 33rpm which was a similar price to the TP series when I bought it.

recorded in two sessions - January & September 1963
originally released on Impulse!
SACD on Analogue Productions

with Eric Dolphy, Jaki Byard, Dannie Richmond, Booker Ervin, etc.

6 Likes

Lockdown tv wandering brought me to the you tube door step of The Jazz Shepherd.
He currently has umpteen episodes four of which tell the life story and musical evolution of Hank Mobley.
He sounds knowledgeable and often talks about vinyl quality. He mentioned Tone Poets a brand I had learnt about here.
Hope it is of interest,certainly educational. His studio looks to be full of lp records.
N

2 Likes

Hi Bob,
Yes the TP are less expensive than the MM but that’s due to TP being widely available outside the US. It’s not particularly relevant in the context of the Hank Mobley titles as TP havent done those.

I bought a complete set of MM 331/3 series on subscription, IIRC they were working out about £45 each with shipping.
It was a shame that MM got greedy and started hiking their prices as soon as they stopped production. Discogs sellers are now asking some pretty eye watering prices for MM titles.
I find it amusing though that some collectors grumble at these prices while seemingly quite happy at chucking a couple of hundred quid on a single album MOFI One Step
Atb

Cheers Nick, will check that out
:+1:

I’m saying that the recent Tone Poet releases that to my mind are equal to the Music Matters are much better value today at half the price but when the MM releases first came out they where actually the same price as the Tone Poets I think I paid about £35 for the few I bought.

After the prices rocketed I sold Andrew Hill - Point of Departure and Kenny Dorham - Afro Cuban but kept Ike Quebec unfortunately the titles I really wanted sold out very quick and are now silly money.

Yeah that’s right. Initially when MM were available in UK from sellers like Alan at Jazzhouse they were around £35. Then for some reason MM pulled the plug on selling through distributors outside the US and making them only available direct from themselves. I got a couple of titles from Jazzhouse then had to subscribe direct from MM for the remainder, shipping charges racked up the price to about £45 which was still comparable to some other “audiophile” labels, then as I said MM imo got greedy which has encouraged the inflated prices by sellers on Discogs as well.
So at £45 worked out a good investment given the asking prices now. Its academic though as I buy records to listen too.
Which titles did you want?

Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land, Horace Parlan - Speakin my Piece, Coltrane - Blue Trane, any of the Grant Green, Something Else and Midnight Blue but for original prices I’d probably consider some others.

1 Like

I would recommend trying to get hold of Grant Green Matador, I’ve posted it previously.
One of my favourites with basically the same line up as Atlantic/My Favourite Things era Coltrane. Substitute Trane for Grant Green who covers My Favourite Things on Matador in fine style.

1 Like

Brooklyn, NY
October 2016
CD’s on AUM Fidelity

William Parker – bass
Jalalu-Kalvert Nelson – trumpet
Rob Brown – alto sax
Cooper Moore – piano
Hamid Drake - drums

2 Likes

Interesting article on early Brit Jazz from Bandcamp

5 Likes

A recent album, and not featured on the thread before I think, by one of my favourite pianists with the great British bassist Dave Holland…

AllMusic Review by Matt Collar [-]

Five years after their last collaboration, pianist Kenny Barron and bassist Dave Holland reunite for the elegant and swinging 2020 trio date Without Deception. Barron and Holland’s partnership goes back decades to at least the mid-'80s and Barron’s trio album Scratch. On 2014’s The Art of Conversation, they played as a duo. Here, they are joined by drummer Johnathan Blake, who previously worked with Barron on his equally engaging 2016 trio album Book of Intuition and 2018 quintet recording Concentric Circles. All of which is to say that each of these players brings his deep creative ties and a wealth of personal musical experience to this project. Having three virtuoso musicians could lead to a struggle for dominance on any given song, but Barron, Holland, and Blake play with a generosity and spirit as they buoy each other’s performances throughout. There’s a deep textural quality to their sound with Barron’s stacked voicings tastefully underpinned by Holland’s warm bass lines and Blake’s delicately kinetic rhythms. Although they never stray too far afield of the main diatonic and chromatic tonalities of a given song, warm harmonies and inventive note choices abound. There’s an underlying Thelonious Monk influence running through much of the album, especially in the jaunty Barron-penned title track, with its rambling up and down lines and bright melody. The trio underline the connection with their snappy album-closing take on Monk’s lesser-played song “Worry Later.” They expand upon this influence in their own way throughout, with tracks like the opening Latin groover “Porto Alegri” and Mulgrew Miller’s burnished, minor-key number “Second Thoughts,” both of which showcase Barron’s richly enveloping and elegant keyboard skills. Similarly engaging are the pianist’s romantic ballad “Until Then,” the driving post-bop cut “Speed Trap,” and the trio’s dreamy, off-kilter rendition of Sumi Tonooka’s “Secret Places.”

Enjoy!

Dave

10 Likes

Yes I have this on vinyl and it’s absolutely superb.
Tim

1 Like

Some “contemporary” Jazz, inspired by some old dead geezer…wassisname?..oh…erm…thats it!..Joe Coltrane!
20210108_172318
@frenchrooster @jazzman22
:wink:

5 Likes

February 2016
CD on Whirlwind Recordings

1 Like