Jazz Music Thread

Cheers Jim, will deffo get round to it, along with The Time Remebered doc I posted earlier. I’m a bit busy at the mo as you might see on the wot yer listening too thread.
Thanks
:heart:

3 Likes

You’ve misunderstood my post Clive, I was quite clearly referring to the All Music review if you read properly, which I said appears misleading, nor am I saying that review is intentionally misleading.

Your CD has all the information so that’s fine. When streaming though that’s not the case, so as I said, something didnt sound right, I investigated further and sourced the information from Discogs which I’ve shared along with my thoughts to inform others here who might not have a physical format with all the information.
Is that ok?
Edit @Clive it appears that you have disingenuously deleted your comment to which the above was a reply. May I respectfully suggest in future that you at least have the courtesy of reading properly and in context before deciding to take issue. You may then find you wont need to do an impression of a fly round a horses arse. :wink:
:heart::+1:

On Blue Note vinyl.

Reflecting on Bill Evans having just watched the video…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

The two LP editions recorded at this Paris concert were the last examples of Bill Evans’ playing to be released at the time. With bassist Marc Johnson and drummer Joe La Barbera, Evans had one of the strongest trios of his career, as can be heard on such pieces as Edition One’s “My Romance,” “I Loves You, Porgy,” and “Beautiful Love.” The close communication between the players is reminiscent of Evans’ 1961 unit with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian.

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Bill Evans’ death in 1980 ended the career of the most influential (along with McCoy Tyner) acoustic pianist in jazz of the previous 20 years. This second of two LPs features Evans, bassist Marc Johnson, and drummer Joe La Barbera closely interacting on four of the pianist’s originals, Gary McFarland’s “Gary’s Theme” and Miles Davis’ “Nardis.” The music is sensitive and subtly exciting. Until the release of some later live sessions from 1980, this could be considered Bill Evans’ final recording and serves as evidence that, rather than declining, he was showing a renewed vitality and enthusiasm in his last year.

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Cheers Dave, havent watched yet hopefully get round to it later, I’m guessing your referring to the Time Remembered doc.

Streaming some more great Piano playing
Hank Jones & Tommy Flanagan
I’m All Smiles
MPS label

20210204_102614

AllMusic Review by Ken Dryden

Although Tommy Flanagan tended to refer to two-piano dates as a gimmick, that’s hardly the case during this superb 1983 concert in Germany with Hank Jones. The two pianists have the kind of feel for one another’s playing that avoids the crash of egos and instead inspires the give and take necessary for each performance to reach its full potential. Immediately, the two veterans captivate their audience with a stunning aggressive improvisation upon Charlie Parker’s “Relaxin’ at Camarillo,” then immediately quiet them with a soft, lyrical interpretation of the gorgeous ballad “In a Sentimental Mood.” They’re clearly having a lot of fun during their upbeat waltz through the popular ballad “Someday My Prince Will Come.” The rest of the concert is every bit as fulfilling, with an inspired treatment of “Rockin’ in Rhythm” getting the nod as the highlight of a memorable evening.

1 Like

Yes. Well worth watching.

Dave

2 Likes

It’s on my watchlist, looking forward to getting the old cathode ray tube out.
:+1:

Yes, heartbreaking in places.

1 Like

3 Likes

Good album. I had it in the past. But someone didn’t gave me it back…

1 Like

Tidal stole it!

1 Like

I so often forget I have this awesome album in the collection:

3 Likes

Not too much I hope, could do with something a bit more uplifting than heartbreaking in the current climate. Was planning to watch this afternoon but got distracted, will deffo set time aside tomorrow.
:+1:

1 Like

20210204_173855

All About Jazz review

Two years on from its debut, Kairos Moment (Kairos, 2009), Kairos 4tet’s Statement Of Intent categorically proves that the critical applause granted to its first album was well-deserved. Statement Of Intent is full of energy, inventiveness and melody, demonstrating a maturing musical sensibility, and placing the band fairly and squarely in the top flight of the UK jazz scene.

Saxophonist/composer Adam Waldmann formed the band in 2008, soon after graduating from London’s Trinity College of Music. Waldmann’s writing, and his bands occasionally idiosyncratic but never self-indulgent approach to playing make for a vastly entertaining record. Pianist Ivo Neame, no mean saxophonist himself, has replaced Rob Barron, and delivers some delightful solos as well as fitting seamlessly alongside drummer Jon Scott and bassist Jasper Høiby in the outstanding rhythm section. Neame and Høiby are also two-thirds of Phronesis, another highly regarded UK-based band, so their partnership is based on an already fruitful relationship.

Most of these tunes are characterized by a quiet, reflective, beauty. “Simpler Times” has a gently rolling rhythm, over which Waldmann adds his warm, soft, tenor saxophone, and closes with Neame’s short but tender piano solo. The title track’s melody is a little wilder, but still immediately accessible, with a hint of Middle Eastern influence in Waldmann’s saxophone part and Høiby’s positive and confident solo. “Box Set Anti-Hero” is skittish and bouncy, with Scott’s lightly darting drums and Høiby’s pumping bass moving the tune along, “Me and You, 100o” mixes rhythmic variation with funky bass and drums.

“Maybe Next Year” and “The Calling” feature vocalist Emilia Mårtensson, who sang on one tune on Kairos Moment. Doubling up her contribution seems eminently sensible, for the young Swedish singer is blessed with a light, romantic and emotive voice that works perfectly with Waldmann’s melodies. Neame’s solo on “Maybe Next Year” is the perfect complement to Mårtensson’s fragile vocal.

Kairos 4tet’s Statement Of Intent emerges in a seemingly ever more crowded and creative British jazz scene. To say that the album is exceptional is, therefore, to praise it very highly. Statement Of Intent is exceptional.

1 Like

Didn’t know them. Thanks

1 Like

Never tired of the albums of this group…

3 Likes

Eyolf Dale - Being, 96/24

Eyolf Dale Piano & Ampli-Celeste
Audun Kleive Drums
Per Zanussi Bass & Saw

2 Likes

Nate Smith, kicking ass:
Is it jazz?

2 Likes