Jazz Music Thread

Nate Smith on drums. We call it jazz…

Holland_pathways

Dave Holland Octet - Pathways

AllMusic Review by Jeff Tamarkin [-]

With five A-list horn players – Chris Potter on tenor and soprano saxophones, Antonio Hart on alto sax and flute, Gary Smulyan on baritone sax, Alex Sipiagin on trumpet and flügelhorn, and Robin Eubanks on trombone – on board, and anchoring supplied by Dave Holland’s bass, Nate Smith’s drums, and Steve Nelson’s marimba and vibes, there’s a lot of swing residing within these grooves. There is also empathy to spare. Pathways, recorded live at New York’s Birdland and the first release by the Holland Octet, is tightly woven, devoid of bloat, and constantly in motion. Holland, in his multi-decade career, has worked within every conceivable format, and he smartly positions the octet precisely where it should be by definition, midway between the standard small-group configuration and the all-bases-covered grandness of a big band. The arrangements often seem larger than life while simultaneously feeling succinct, and every solo – not the least of which are Holland’s own masterful excursions – is carefully considered and masterfully executed. The album’s seven tracks are all written by bandmembers – five by Holland, one each by Sipiagin and Potter – and two of Holland’s, “Shadow Dance” and “How’s Never?” (both of which he’s recorded before), are the longest of the show, allowing for multiple shifts in mood, tempo, and color. Holland uses those pieces, in particular, as launching pads for dynamic solo exhibits and inspired duets, but in the end it’s not the dexterity of the individuals that impresses most, but rather the groupthink of the ensemble.

Enjoy

Dave

1 Like

Define Jazz?
:heart:

“It don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing” Duke Ellington
:grinning: :innocent:

Dave

3 Likes

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind … Ellington? I think Louis Armstrong is also attributed with a similar quote.
:heart:

1 Like

Or to quote Louis Armstrong “If you have to ask what jazz is, you’ll never know.”

Dave

1 Like

How about; “All music is folk music. I ain’t never heard a horse sing a song”.
:rofl:

1 Like

Enough already! I sat in front of the goggle 2 hours ago to watch Time Remembered and I havent switched the bloody thing on yet!
:rofl:

Miles Davis about jazz: “ Don’t play what’s there, play what’s not there.”

According to my three year old son, he likes Jazz, but likes Bert & Ernie better and Miles Davis is a “strange dude”.

Starting a record like this:

1 Like

I enjoyed him during Miles concerts in the mid 80’s. But have no albums of him by his name. Without Miles, I loose some interest.

Miles surrounded himself in those years with young talent, only some could stand on their own after. I see the same thing with who Marcus Miller accompanies, extremely talented people who just not have “it” to make it on their own (i.e. Alex Han). However…this record, I like :wink:

1 Like

Only some!?!

John Coltrane, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Joe Zawinul, Dave Holland, Keith Jarrett, …

Dave

1 Like

Was aiming at the end of his career in the 80s where we were talking about. Rephrased it, thanks.

I don’t think, IMH, that Ron Carter could do something really original on his own for instance. Despite being a great bass player.
Joe Zawinul on his own, not really something important.
Alex Acuna on his own?
David Sandborn? Commercially, yes.

John Mclaughlin, Wayne Shorter, Keith Jarrett, Dave Holland, David Liebman, H Hancock: definitely yes.

1 Like

Point taken. For some of us not his greatest period. :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

I agree that after 1985, it was not his great period. But between 1981 and 1984, yes.

“Joe Zawinul on his own, not really something important.”

Weather Report?

re: Ron Carter, too many projects/albums to mention.

Dave

3 Likes

Speaking of Herbie, anyone know if the so called Fusion album with Washington is still happening? Don’t know if that is something to get excited about, but still…

Nice to see some mention of Abdullah Ibrahim here. He released a new recording - The Balance - on Gearbox in 2019 - excellent music and SQ on the vinyl.

5 Likes