Jazz Music Thread

It’s Weather Report, not Zawinul :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.
Ron Carter made very very much albums…but something great? Humm…

Can you precise, I am interested.?

Old news of 2018, still nothing new on the matter. Since then they toured together in ‘19. There is mention of it on his wiki… and here Here

1 Like

A while ago I posted about Amancio D’Silva’s album Hum Dono, which he recorded with Joe Harriott at the Lansdowne Studio. That’s available on vinyl and CD from Dutton Vocalion. D’Silva was an experienced Bombay musician who came to England in the 60s and like Joe Harriott, brought diversity to contemporary English jazz.

Today I got D’Silva’s album Konkan Dance, also issued by Vocalion but on CD only. I was going to recommend buying it from the Vocalion site where it was only £2.99 yesterday; however it has gone back up to 11.99. I was originally alerted to it because I had an email from Juno announcing a new vinyl reissue (different cover). It’s a fascinating recording - again at Lansdowne and this time with six musicians, including Don Rendell and Stan Tracey, with sitar and tabla. This album is quite different from Hum Dono, less of an acoustic sound, with D’Silva playing electric guitar with some distortion as well acoustic guitar.

One of my favourite Ron Carter (not with Miles) albums…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Long considered a classic and a revelation to listeners who had taken guitarist Jim Hall for granted, this set of duets with bassist Ron Carter (reissued on CD) has near-telepathic communication between the two musicians and quiet music full of inner tension and fire. Hall and Carter brought in an original apiece and also collaborated on six standards, including “St. Thomas,” “Softly As in a Morning Sunrise,” “Autumn Leaves,” and “Alone Together.” Introspective and thought-provoking music.

Enjoy

Dave

5 Likes

A heartily endorse a recommendation for an album recently featured on another thread.

Thanks to @RexManning

Dave

2 Likes

@Neilb1906 @jazzman22
Well I just got through watching Time Remembered. Now I get why Neil described it as heartbreaking, I had no idea!
This is probably the most profound and moving music doc in any genre that I’ve seen.
I first came to the music of Bill Evan’s when I picked up some OJC LP’s in a bargain bin would you believe, the early albums New Jazz Conceptions, Portrait, Sunday ATVV, Waltz For Debbie etc. I was immediately smitten by those and as someone in the film commented his beautiful ability to play slow with single notes sustained seemingly timelessly. Amazing!
The emotion, tension and release listening to those fail my limited vocabulary, but I still had no idea, I knew of the tragedy of the death of Scott LeFaro but until now had no idea of his battle with drug addiction, the troubled life and tragedy. With such great music made in the face of such struggle heartbreak and tragedy, from now on listening to those records will be on whole different level.

Someone recently commented on this forum that they dont listen to Jazz from the 50s & 60s as it “has no soul”. Well I say to that person watch this documentary, listen to the music of Bill Evan’s, and dare tell me this music has no soul.

Truth and Beauty (with soul)
RIP Scott LeFaro, Harry & Bill Evans

:heart:

4 Likes

That was me :wink: There is also live coverage on mezzo of this, in Poland I thought

1 Like

If you prefer a larger format…

51WgUvPF-+L.AC_SX466

AllMusic Review by Ken Dryden [-]

Ron Carter is one of the most recorded bassists in jazz. In his mid-seventies at the time of these sessions, he is very much still at the top of his game as he leads the first big-band date of his own, with potent arrangements by conductor Robert M. Freedman and including some of New York’s busiest musicians, including Jerry Dodgion, Steve Wilson, Wayne Escoffery, and Scott Robinson in the woodwind section, brass players Steve Davis, Douglas Purviance, and Greg Gisbert, plus pianist Mulgrew Miller and drummer Lewis Nash, among others. Freedman’s charts are short and sweet, all of them under five minutes, with much of the focus on imaginative writing and Carter’s melodic bass central in the mix. The material spans from the 1920s to the present, played with imagination. The opening “Caravan” is taken far from its roots, transformed into a breezy bop vehicle, even slipping in a dissonant snippet of “Hot House.” The setting of Dizzy Gillespie’s “Con Alma” retains its Latin flavor, with a lush introduction by the brass and reeds and strong solos by Miller and Carter. Carter’s inventive bass provides the undercurrent for the brisk interpretation of Wayne Shorter’s marvelous jazz standard “Footprints,” while the upbeat performance of Gerry Mulligan’s “Line for Lyons” would have pleased its composer. Carter has long been a prolific composer, and his “Loose Change” is a funky affair with marvelous interplay among the brass and reeds, while “Opus 1.5 (Theme for C.B.)” is mellow and somber, with Charles Pillow’s mellow English horn prominent and an intricate solo by Carter. With this delightful big-band date, the veteran bassist continues to surprise and delight listeners during a career spanning five-plus decades.

Enjoy

Dave

1 Like

6 standards…even if inspired, nothing really original…because written by someone else.

Beautifully put Dread, I felt exactly the same after I watched it some months ago. He was a musical genius in the same box as Mozart et al.
Sometimes the most beautiful of art comes from the most troubled of souls, whether it be Evans, Van Gogh, Robin Williams or Tony Hancock.
BE will always be my go to music of any genre when I need that refocus in life.

2 Likes

That one seems more personal. Will listen after. Thanks.

Sorry. I’ve now corrected it.

Dave

1 Like

I said indeed that I don’t listen to jazz from 50’s and 60’s, but could never have said it has no soul. Just not my cup of tea in general, even if I enjoy sometimes some Miles, Gil Evans or Hancock from the 60’s.

For those wishing to learn more about Bill Evans I recommend Peter Pettinger’s book, How My Heart Sings. I think I posted an image of it several hundred posts back, but here again:

4 Likes

I consider myself to be quite a tough cookie, but watching that did bring a lump in my throat.

Interesting you mention Robbie Williams, Mrs Dread loves him, difficult to whisper in writing but I have to admit his music has grown on me. Unlike that tax dodging royalist sycophant Gary Barlow!..aah that’s made me feel better! Normal dread has been resumed…:rofl:
:heart:

You did and a suitably timely reminder
:+1:

1 Like

I think you will find i said Robin Williams, a la Goodwill Hunting and breast on fire.

Oh sh@t! Wheres my reading glasses?
:rofl:

Ha, sorry but I am unable to put Robbie Williams with my treasured Evans and Van Gogh!