Jazz Music Thread

There is only one track by Ron Carter…
But don’t misunderstood my point. Of course Ron Carter is a great musician, but, for me, not a creative and innovative musician and composer as Miles Davis or Wayne Shorter.
Just my point of view. Ron Carter as a great sideman, yes.

Taxi for Mr Dread!..
:taxi:

I think I understand your point but it’s all JAZZ. Does it make a difference whether the musicians are improvising to an original or to a standard tune?
In the hands of a jazz master a standard tune is completely reinvented.

Dave

5 Likes

I agree on that.
I was just referring to above discussions about Miles Davis musicians who after continued on their own and invented something new, really new. It was the case with John Mclaughlin with Mahavishnu orchestra first, Wayne Shorter with Weather Report , Herbie Hancock with his headhunters…
But no problem, as you said, all is jazz and it’s not really important in absolute meaning.

2 Likes

Pat Metheny - Song X

Not a bad supporting cast!

Avant garde? Maybe, but it completely makes sense. Along with Coleman’s albums from 1959-61 it’s surely one of the easiest routes into the genre.

2 Likes

Concert night at house Rex. Herbie on the Jazz Channel 2001

• Bass – [Ira Coleman]
  • Drums – [Terri Lyne Carrington]
  • Piano – [Herbie Hancock]
  • Tenor Saxophone – [Eli Degibri]
  • Trumpet, Flugelhorn – [Eddie Henderson]
  • Voice, Percussion – [Cyro Baptista]

2 Likes

If only I could be on cd or download… It’s sad that no one live of him is produced on cd or streaming, apart two great albums live in the 70’s.
I have seen him in Nice jazz festival 3 times, in Paris, between 1986 and 2010. He is performing a lot. But no one of this concert on cd. Why?

1 Like

I think I have Future 2 Future on dvd and as cd, don’t I? I’ll check. Yes I do.

In the meantime, one of my most groovy favorites of all time:

2 Likes

Future 2 is rock it , yes ? Not what I prefer from him. You are right, some , like Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters 2, with Lionel Loueke, Marcus Miller, Terry Lyne…exit on DVD Japan import. Some concerts from 1970 years exist too in DVD, but the sound is really crap.

For me it’s:

image image

Specially the left one

Sound on Future 2 is perfect! But not your style.

Further I have indeed
Headhunters with Marcus Miller tokyo 2005
With Chick, Di Meola, Coryell, Pattituci - under the sky 1986
Sound not so.

Ah, very nice. On Brazilian Love affair the Rex family taps along on the title song :wink:

2 Likes

The headhunters with Marcus Miller on DVD?

I like also Brazilian love affair… Just some preferences…

1 Like

No, not physical anymore. Can’t remember when and how I got that, but I’ve had it for years. I think maybe I bought it in a market in India.

You are lucky!!! I searched it during a long time , but could find only the DVD. So the sound is not very good? I will have no regrets if the sound is bad. Can watch it on YouTube.

No, the sound is not good, is it on youtube these days? Ha. I remember now, I bought an obscure looking dvd called Latin American tunes from the Herald Tribune and this was inside :thinking:

I just checked: the video is worse, but the sound on youtube is the same if not better. Thank you for saving me space on my Nas!

1 Like

Excellent interpretation by this group. Recommended.

1 Like

Just realised. Very very cool !!!
@Dreadatthecontrols should like. Maybe @Bobthebuilder too and some.

2 Likes