Jazz Music Thread

Sometimes a hot mess can be a great thing!

Like the Miles Davis album On the Corner, that’s a hot mess, but I love it.

I had that reaction when I first heard Ornette Coleman back in the day and ignored him until 2006. I read a really positive review of Sound Grammar and ran out and bought it. After attempting to listen to it a couple of times I ended up throwing it in the bottom of a closet out of frustration.
Till this day there’s only about 5 tracks out of his entire catalogue that I can bear listening to.

I find that lately I’m in a musical ‘‘slump’’. I’ve spent my whole life digging for new refreshing music/sounds and as much as my tastes have evolved/expanded over time I’ve always been able to find on a regular basis. This past year the finds have been fewer and further apart. And it’s not just music but other forms of entertainment as well. Maybe Covid has something to do with it or maybe I’m getting too old or maybe I need to get an external power supply or expensive interconnects for my Naim amp. Yeah that must be it. :grin:

I’m sure they had fun making it.

Without an expensive interconnect you will never be able to be connected to jazz. It’s an evidence.
I tried ornette coleman several times, but nothing happened. Maybe another 555dr…

The album I suggested just before, from Steven Feifke, listen to Nica’s Dream. Two minutes in, this young (then 23) pianist starts his sober solo. A minute later I hear that they are still out there, the no-nonsense talents.

The solution is to try, try, try again and I’m sure it will suddenly click. I was blown away by Lonely Woman the first time I heard it on the radio.

That is the secret,keep listening.
When I lodged in London my room mate came home with the future and played and played it over and over again.
Whilst not to my current jazz taste when you have heard it over a hundred times it does all make sense.
N

Ending my wander through the discography of Jimmy Heath I came to his final statement Love letter. Recorded just before his death at 93.

Like Frank Wess Magic 101
Wonderful epilogues to magical jazz careers.
Both of the masters chose Kenny Barron as principal accompanist.
Qobuz has a lovely valedictory to Jimmy.
N

1 Like

Yes, very likely.

I get a sense of that fun and wildness when I play that album.

Maybe give this a try?

Three masterful players having a lot of fun with great material, but keeping it in the bounds of swing.

1 Like

Syncopated cacophony in the beginning but flows nicely once the keyboard takes over.

Tracks 2 & 6 on Love Letter :+1:

Welll my story i different - I fell in love with The Shape of Jazz To Come when I bought the CD and purchased the vinyl version a few days later. I guess the fact that I still use the Lavender 5-pin DIN interconnect between the CDS3 and the 552 has something to do with that… :rofl:

Claude

On a brighter note, this is the best track I know of by Glasper.

Amazing version of Monk’s Think Of One, where they riff through different modes of playing it in different styles, but as a one seamless tune.

1 Like

Wow - I’ve listened to the track The Door by Mathias Eich many times.

But for some reason only just got round to listening to the whole album.

It’s lovely, very carefully crafted cool steely jazz, tinged with sadness.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

2: John Coltrane: A Love Supreme (Impulse!)
Released in 1965, jazz mystic and saxophonist/composer John Coltrane’s four-part hymn to God remains deeply influential and is regarded as the album that birthed what became known as spiritual jazz. A Love Supreme was the first time that a musician had successfully used the language of jazz to explore deeper metaphysical concerns. Assisted by pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Jimmy Garrison and über-drummer Elvin Jones, Coltrane takes us on a journey into the realm of religious exaltation. He leaves the listener exhausted – the music can seem almost overwhelming due to its emotional intensity but also blissfully contented after the final chord has sounded. Though Coltrane recorded several landmark albums both before and after A Love Supreme, this gamechanging 1965 LP sealed his immortality and sits rightfully among the best jazz albums of all time.

Key track: ‘Part One: “Acknowledgement”’

Enjoy

Dave

9 Likes

Absolutely.

1 Like

Splendid sunny & freezing weather, good walk and good music afterwards
System sounding absolutely stunning with the latest tweaks
Iver

7 Likes

The last great Trane album for me, after which it all gets a bit self indulgent and dare I say it pretentious. Or perhaps that should read that I find people who claim to “get” Ascension and stuff like that as being pretentious and trying to be esoteric.
(Not aiming this comment at anyone here btw)
:heart:

1 Like