Jazz Music Thread

Loving all the Nightdreamer Sessions ( Turkish Psyche Rock anyone?)

The Night Dreamer Gary Bartz/Maisa featured in a lot of end of year “Best ofs” But for me this is the jewel in the crown.
Fusion of Indian Classical, Jazz, EDM

Reminds me of the Joe Harriott/John Meyer Double Quintet fusion records from way back, but taken further out

20210213_161923
R-14634514-1578603449-2444.jpeg R-2324490-1509023613-9685.jpeg
:heart:

1 Like

Any artists in particular?

1 Like

A Love Supreme was recorded in Dec 1964 and released in early 1965. He died two years later.

Maybe the direction he took in those final years wasn’t to our liking but he left us so much else to savour.

Dave

1 Like

Of course! I wasnt suggesting otherwise
:+1::heart:

1 Like

Review in today’s Sunday Times by the venerable Clive Davis.

RR-690x310

R&R=NOW
Live
Blue Note
The word “supergroup” is often synonymous with “self-indulgent”. So it proves on these oddly bloodless and long-winded performances — taped at the Blue Note club in New York — by a band led by Robert Glasper, a keyboard player who has acquired messianic status on both sides of the Atlantic. The initials stand for “reflect and respond”. In this case “repeat and repeat” might be more apt.

Who said I only post positive reviews? :grinning:

Dave

PS No offence to any Robert Glaser fans but I couldn’t resist.

2 Likes

Personally I agree a bit with the review. Robert Glasper, apart his piano debut album, doesn’t make creative and interesting music. It’s more bling bling jazz .
I have only one track from that album, which I finally don’t listen very often.

Lounge Kitch but I rather like it.
Jimmy Smith in an orchestral setting with arrangements by Lalo Schifren.
Pass the cheese dear!
20210214_160347

2 Likes

These are the Robert Glasper albums/tracks that I’ve kept in my curated repertoire:

Miles Ahead OST
20 - Francessence (feat. Robert Glasper)

Everything’s Beautiful
01 - Talking S**t (actual word blocked by Big Brother)
04 - Maiysha (So Long) (feat. Erykah Badu)
08 - Song For Selim (feat. KING)
09 - Milestones (feat. Georgia Anne Muldrow)

In My Element
10 – One for 'grew

ArtScience
05 – You and Me

Black Radio
02 - Afro Blue (feat. Erykah Badu)
08 - Consequence Of Jealously (feat. Meshell Ndegeocello)
11 - Letter to Hermoine (feat. Bilal)

Early Riser (Taylor McFerrin)
07 - Already There (feat. Robert Glasper & Thundercat)

I like it a lot :+1:

2 Likes

I thought you didnt listen to Jazz from the 50’s n 60’s :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll have to give it some thought.

Off the top of my head, while not actual BS, but just doesn’t speak to me emotionally… Snarky Puppy (with the exception of Family Dinner 2), GoGo Penguin (NRP Tiny Desk is OK), Ambrose Akinmusire, Donny McCaslin, the aforementioned R+R=NOW…

Interesting round up of current UK Jazz talent, some familiar names, some less so.
From the eminent Soul Jazz label.

From Soul Jazz;

Soul Jazz Records’ new album ‘Kaleidoscope – New Spirits Known and Unknown’ brings together many of the ground-breaking artists involved in the new jazz scene that has developed in the UK over the last few years. Featured artists include Matthew Halsall, Yazmin Lacey, Ill Considered, Tenderlonious, Theon Cross, Emma-Jean Thackray and many, many more in this ground-breaking release.

As well as sharing a pioneering spirit in these new artists’ approach to frontier-crossing musical boundaries, a further theme of this album is that many also share a determination to independent practices - and most of these artists’ recordings featured here are either self-published or released on independent labels. While the attention of this new wave of jazz artists has up until now has been London-based, this album shows how this movement is spread across the whole of Britain (and indeed beyond).

‘Kaleidoscope – New Spirits Known and Unknown’ shows that while there is commonality in these artists approach to music, there is a wide variety of styles – from deep spiritual jazz, electronic experimentalisation, punk-edged funk, uplifting modal righteousness, deep soulful vocals and much more.

I would also highly recommend the Brownswood label compilation from a couple of years back We Out Here available from Bandcamp.

2 Likes

ditto…

f3rb3g3r.j31

Recorded March 1967

Have been playing a lot of Chick the last few days.

Dave

10 Likes

Of Coltranes Prestige period this album is probably my favourite. Lush Life seems to get most recognition but SoulTrane gets more play here.
As the review points out, one that perhaps gets overlooked being sandwiched between Lush Life and Blue Train.
Take those two, along with SoulTrane, the Atlantic albums, Ballads and A Love Supreme and those are probably my most favourite John Coltrane studio recordings.

AllMusic Review by Lindsay Planer

In addition to being bandmates within Miles Davis’ mid-'50s quintet, John Coltrane (tenor sax) and Red Garland (piano) head up a session featuring members from a concurrent version of the Red Garland Trio: Paul Chambers (bass) and Art Taylor (drums). This was the second date to feature the core of this band. A month earlier, several sides were cut that would end up on Coltrane’s Lush Life album. Soultrane offers a sampling of performance styles and settings from Coltrane and crew. As with a majority of his Prestige sessions, there is a breakneck-tempo bop cover (in this case an absolute reworking of Irving Berlin’s “Russian Lullaby”), a few smoldering ballads (such as “I Want to Talk About You” and “Theme for Ernie”), as well as a mid-tempo romp (“Good Bait”). Each of these sonic textures displays a different facet of not only the musical kinship between Coltrane and Garland but in the relationship that Coltrane has with the music. The bop-heavy solos that inform “Good Bait,” as well as the “sheets of sound” technique that was named for the fury in Coltrane’s solos on the rendition of “Russian Lullaby” found here, contain the same intensity as the more languid and considerate phrasings displayed particularly well on “I Want to Talk About You.” As time will reveal, this sort of manic contrast would become a significant attribute of Coltrane’s unpredictable performance style. Not indicative of the quality of this set is the observation that, because of the astounding Coltrane solo works that both precede and follow Soultrane – most notably Lush Life and Blue Train – the album has perhaps not been given the exclusive attention it so deserves.

And some lovely interplay with one of my favourite bassist Paul Chambers and a piano player I always love hearing, Red Garland.

3 Likes

I saw that band live - very self-indulgent. Got bored to be honest, wasn’t getting anywhere. Pity as Glasper is capable of doing good things.

1 Like

In general…

Nah, no backtracking! Sorry! :wink:
:grin::heart:

Jamaican Trumpet player and alumni of the amazing, and yes legendary, Alpha Boys School.
An unreasonably overlooked classic from Blue Note (although I think it was actually recorded in the UK or France?)

Dizzy Reece Blues In Trinity

“I commend this record to the house without reservation…” Rt Hon Dread Athtecontrols MP

20210214_185050

Just downloaded 4 tracks of the Kaleidoscope album. 2,99 euros by track, cd quality.
Qobuz really became expensive!

No backtracking: it means?