Jazz Music Thread

Great list!
Of course a list like that is a great way of getting a good discussion going.
I would think that having Ornette Coleman’s “free jazz” and “shape of jazz to come " both in top 20 is double up. And ''Time out” should be in the top 10.
But again that’s what is so much fun about such a list.
Thank you for posting it!

I have that LP but haven’t played it for some time - thanks for the reminder, it is now blasting through Tidal and sounding amazing.

1 Like

Great album ! Rare Dupree Bolton outing.

1 Like

Any Mike Westbrook fans here might be interested to know that a previously unreleased album is about to become available. The first ever release of the debut performance of Mike Westbrook’s Citadel /Room 315 featuring John Surman. The new album is called Love and Understanding and will be available on CD, 2 x LP and download. It’s released on 3rd April but the Westbrook website will be shipping the CD version only from 2nd March!

See https://www.westbrookjazz.co.uk/mikewestbrook/love_understanding_cd.shtml

3 Likes

I am and have always been more found of Bebop and beyond. But a couple of summers ago I was spending 2 weeks of my summer vacation on the complete hot five and hot seven recordings.
And I have to agree with your statement;

If you don’t know Satchmo’s Hot fives and Sevens, you don’t really know jazz.

1 Like

Brilliant !! Mike W. releases are on a roll.

1 Like

@Chris-T and @Dynaudio1 I have this on vinyl (sent to me by the label) and not only is the SQ fantastic (another great job by Caspar at Gearbox) but but it’s a great concert, with the MW orchestra in majestic form. I can recommend getting it when it comes out.

@TheKevster and @Dynaudio1 I can also vouch for the sound quality on CD at least as Mike Westbrook sent me a copy :slight_smile: - Having heard the raw original I can add that the remastering is excellent. It can be pre-ordered on the link I gave in the original post and will be sent before the official release date.

1 Like

These two BlueNote double vinyl albums arrived earlier.

Looking forward to playing after the cricket.

4 Likes

Thanks @Chris-T and @TheKevster. Looks like I’m likely in for the Gearbox vinyl and an early CD from the Westbrook site. This is exciting news - new version of important early Westbrook material which Mike has been featuring in recent performances with the Big Band (big plus !).

1 Like

In my opinion, the most successful of his trio
TRIO

2 Likes

One of my favorites in the jazz rock genre

8 Likes

Keith Jarrett Trio -Live in Fabrik, Hamburg 1989 - nice concert, will there ever be an official release or did I miss it?

1 Like

I just posted this on the What Are You Listening To thread. John McLaughlin’s definitive fusion band, Mahavishnu Orchestra. The first album, The Inner Mounting Flame is a desert island disc for me.

6 Likes

Thelonious Monk - Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960

7 Likes

I’m going to see the Trio at the Barbican on the 9th March.

2 Likes

Classic Hard Bope

11 Likes

Sheer pleasure

9 Likes

Andrew Hill Trio & Quartet - ‘Shades’ from the Black Saint & Soul Note remastered box series. Nice one from 1986 (released 1988/Soul Note)

2 Likes

Blue label vinyl copy. One of Bobby’s (and Chick Corea’s) best.

7 Likes