Jazz Music Thread

NICE ONE
AVISHAY

5 Likes

This one, as well as being by a brilliant group, brings back good memories of hearing music at the Lighthouse, Hermosa Beach. The acoustics of that venue are very distinctive.

3 Likes

I posted this on the ‘What are you listening to’ thread a while back and I’m still listening to it. It’s a great radio station. OK, jazz (real jazz) on the radio in the UK is very limited, but there are plenty stations around the world, especially in the USA. I’m really enjoying this one from Seattle.

2 Likes

Fred Anderson - Timeless, Live at the Velvet Club (recorded in 2005 at his own club in Chicago when he was 76. 2006 Delmark release). powerful smooth toned ‘avant-garde’ with the fitting title.

2 Likes

Loving this latest from Moses Boyd. The UK “Jazz” scene is ablaze with fantastic talent and Moses is amongst the leading lights in my opinion…

:grin:

2 Likes

And this from Binker Golding & Moses Boyd, Gearbox Records

3 Likes

Another hard bope classic!

16 Likes

Gigi Gryce - Clifford Brown Sextet. Lovelyimage

1 Like

Binker Golding’s Abstractions of Reality Past and Incredible Feathers is a great quartet album, one of my favourite albums of 2019 of any genre. Some really fresh playing, but great compositions too.

6 Likes

Wayne Shorter with the 1969 Super Nova.

Contains the track Dindi with Maria Booker’s heart breaking tearful vocals.

Guitars by John McLaughlin and guitar god Sonny Sharrock.

Also Chick Corea on drums WHAAAAAAAT!!!

8 Likes

Hi Jim,
Yes I have it, superb!
If you haven’t already Binker & Moses recordings on the Gearbox label are well worth checking out, especially the debut Dem Ones.
:+1:

1 Like

Enjoy, have they / are they managing to go to the village vanguard whilst there?

1 Like

I’d strongly urge them to go to the Village Vanguard, Jim, especially if they’re jazz fans. It’s only a short walk from the Blue Note. I’m sure if I lived in Manhattan I’d wear a trough in the pavement between the two. And then Birdland isn’t too far away either. Ticket prices aren’t too bad either - once you’re in, you can stay for subsequent sets too.

2 Likes

McCoy Tyner (R.I.P.) - Expansions. Recorded in 1968 (Blue Note).

8 Likes

One of the remaining giants, a generation is disappearing :cry:

2 Likes

I would second the Village Vanguard recommendation. I’m fortunate to live in NYC, and have my choice of jazz venues. The Vanguard is at the top of the list. It’s an intimate space full of jazz history; I’m not sure I can count the number of “Live at the Vanguard “ albums that have been released. Also (providing you’re not back by the bar), much better sight lines than Blue Note.

Another choice is the Jazz Standard. Better sight lines (again, not near bar or service entrance to kitchen) and much better food than Blue Note.

1 Like

Was lucky to find this on vinyl recently, a wonderful album!

Thanks Hermann
Just listening to Lilies loving it

1 Like

This week I will be mostly listening too…

Latest run of Tone Poets

Stanley Turrentine Coming Your Way

Grant Green Nigeria

Hank Mobley Poppin

Chet Baker Sings

7 Likes

Some good news for fans of the Blue Note Tone Poet series following the fire at the Appollo Lacquer manufacturing facility. Kevin Gray has good supply of MDC lacquers…

:+1::+1:

1 Like