Jazz Music Thread

Last night I watched a great film for lovers of the early '60s London jazz scene; All Night Long.

Essentially an adaptation and reworking of Shakespeare’s Othello, starring greats like Richard Attenborough and Patrick McGoohan, It features a number of Jazz greats including Charles Mingus, Dave Brubeck, Tubby Hayes, John Dankworth and many others.

Great film, and excellent transfer to Blu-ray by Network.

6 Likes

Cool, I will need to check that out
:grin:

Enjoyed watching this over the weekend…

:grinning:

5 Likes

Killing some Coronavirus downtime in my Taxi, listening to this and just had to hit the buy now button.
Nice showcase LP put together by Giles Peterson from Maida Vale session

:grin:

1 Like

This Coronavirus is dreadful. I’ve just received this email from the Blue Note in NYC. They’re laying people off and asking for donations. I’ve deleted the bit which enables donations as it’s probably in violation of some forum regulation, but I just wanted to share with fellow jazz fans so you’d know how desperate the situation is.

\ 570xauto

Blue Note New York

Employee Support Fund

\ 600xauto

The effects of the current coronavirus crisis in the music and entertainment industry are far reaching. We’ve seen countless venues, bars and restaurants across the world forced to close their doors and suspend operations. We at Blue Note Entertainment Group are committed to preventing the spread of COVID-19, however unfortunately the suspension of our venue operations has forced us to make the difficult decision of letting many of the hard working members of our team go.

The members of our Blue Note New York family have been the most vital in bringing unique concert experiences to our audiences on a daily basis and now they need our support more than ever. This is why we are asking our patrons and Blue Note fans worldwide to lend a hand to all staff and affected members of our team by donating to our Employee Relief Fund. These donations will be distributed to all those on our team who have been impacted during this time of need.

We understand that making a donation may not be possible, so in its place, we would greatly appreciate all your efforts to spread the word to your friends and family.

We are very grateful for your continued support and are looking forward to sharing our passion for music with you when we are able to reopen.

1 Like

Myra Melford - Life Carries Me This Way. From 2013.
“…features original compositions inspired by the artwork of her friend, the late Sacramento-based artist Don Reich (1931-2010)…”

2 Likes

Regularly shown on Talking Pictures TV…in low resolution!

1 Like

10 Likes

Most jazz musicians rely on gigs to make ends meet. Spare a thought and please support them if you can. Best way would be to buy music directly from them (their web site etc…) so the money goes straight to them.

2 Likes

The CD has been available for the past month on Mike Westbrook’s website but you are right, the actual release date is 3rd April. It’s fascinating to hear the difference between this and the originally released Citadel/Room 315, which is currently unavailable.

1 Like

Got the old Denon rigged this morning on the top floor erstwhile office, feeding Wharfdale 9.1’s, some rather nice Krall playing, very acceptable indeed. Great acoustics due to odd roof shape, carpet and soft furnishings… wonder what downstairs Naim/Dynaudio would sound like up here?

3 Likes

I know this was posted a long time ago, but this album is freakin’ awesome!

1 Like

images

The Legendary Riverside Recordings - Chet Baker includes the Chet album tracks.

9 Likes

index2

Tommy Flanagan - Jazz Poet
A very underrated post-bop pianist.

7 Likes

Talking about the Blue Note club…

index3

The Standards Trio in brillant form over 3 nights, 2 sets each night.

9 Likes

1 Like

Wonderful album . . .

12 Likes

The Heliocentric Worlds Of Sun Ra. ESP-Disk 3 Vol. re-issue (2010)

2 Likes

I’m not a massive fan of Black Sabbath but the preview track Iron Man on Bandcamp sounds great. Released this Friday.

1 Like