Jazz Music Thread

These guys are awesome!

1 Like

Joe told me Kevin has been an MDC customer for a while anyway, and unaffected by the Apollo fire. Good thing because MDC is not (can not) taking on new customers for now.

Mosaic Records 8CD set - superb collection.

7 Likes

Legendary drummer Jimmy Cobb, born in 1929, played for many years with legendary guitarist Wes Montgomery, with John Coltrane, Adderon Cannonball, and a trio of trumpeter Miles Davis with whom he also recorded the finest album “Kind of Blue”.
Here are two of his recommended albumsblue cobbs

5 Likes

I have the 50s one. I’ve been toying with getting this too. will probably take the plunge

Highly recommended. It is on backorder at the moment but worth the wait. Mastered by Malcolm Addey.

Enjoying Kurt Elling’s new release.

2 Likes

They seem almost impossible to get ? (UK)

A selection of mine - Isao Suzuki and Tsuyoshi Yamamoto.
From the famous TBM label of Japan.

5 Likes

Sun Ra Arkestra - Sunrise in Different Dimensions- live recordings from the 1980 concert at the Gasthof Morhen in Willisau, Switzerland. 1981 release on hat Hut, also available on Bandcamp (remaster?).

1 Like

Successful meeting between chamber music and jazz, sponsored by JACOUES LOUSSIER-Toujours adorable

BACH2 BACH3

3 Likes

Top class J-Jazz:

Stop Over’ by Hideto Sasaki - Toshiyuki Sekine Quartet +1

From Boomkat.

4 Likes

Thanks - this is an excellent recording - I might well pick this one up…

Duke Ellington & Billy Strayhorn. CD1 from this great and affordable Sony box.

3 Likes

Hi @Brilliant
And a brilliant looking selection! One for my “wishlist” thanks for posting
What’s the SQ like?
:+1:

1 Like

Hi @Dreadatthecontrols
You are very welcome. SQ mastering is pretty good considering the vintage. For instance The Charlie Parker tracks compare well with the original ‘CP 32’ CD ‘On Dial’ reissues (Black Triangles), very slight preference for the BTs perhaps, each of which cost me about the same as this whole box on Amazon.
If I have it right, these were US recordings/releases that Vogue issued under license in Europe, so if you are a US label collector you may have these in previous issues.

1 Like

I found it on The River for about £30 will probably order it shortly.
Yes, I did a bit of looking up and according to a River customer review;

“A superb collection of 41 mainly original 10” albums, plus a number of relevant 7" singles & EPs, all originally released in America on various labels including - Mercer Records, Roost, Modern, Discovery, Esoteric, Down Home, Dixieland Jubilee, Ragtime, Dial, 3 Deuces, Blue Note, Apollo, King, Federal, Commodore, Fantasy & Pacific Jazz. These albums were then re-issued in France on either the Swing or Vogue labels"

I have been listening on regular rotation lately my Proper and JSP box sets of Louis Armstrong Hot Fives And Sevens, Be Bop Spoken Here, Dizzy Gillespie Story, Lester Young Story etc so your vintage post caught my eye.
Despite the vintage I think these old recordings sound great and I love being transported back to these times
:+1:

1 Like

Ps I did have a decent double CD of Charlie Parker The Complete Dial Masters that included all the alternative takes. But for some stupid reason way back when I swapped it for an inferior compliation of the “Best” of the Dial & Savoy master takes.

Stupid Boy!
:-1:

@Dreadatthecontrols
If you do downloads, Qobuz has some free vintage Bird (1947)/Satch (1926-28)/Billie (1935-40) in their covid-19 relief free music offer. The Fremeaux selections (Parker/Armstrong) usually have decent SQ, perhaps not as good as your JSP box. I am not familiar with the EPM label SQ (Holliday), but likely okay.

1 Like

Hi @Brilliant
I’m mostly vinyl and CD.
My favourite Billie Holliday are the Commodore recordings and this CD on GRP

:grinning:

4 Likes