Jazz Music Thread

My comment was more pulling your leg about your criticising Tone Poets choices then recommending one.
:heart:

I’m enjoying this. Just out on Qobuz

Those are United Artists pressings Clive - I bought quite a lot of them back in the day and still have them. The first couple of batches were released in the UK and US, so the likes of HMV and Virgin stocked them. The later batches were US imports only so you had to get them in places like Mole Jazz and even then they were elusive and expensive. Took me years to get hold of a copy of the Larry Young ‘Mother Ship’.

Those cover designs are sort of curios now but back in circa 1980 they were quite striking !

There is a school of thought that the US pressing quality of these is better than the UK versions, hence the higher prices on discogs.

It’s interesting that the US releases are supposed to be superior as my copy certainly sounds fine (in fact it is Blue Note/Liberty/EMI!). I can’t remember where I bought it - probably in Oxford or London. I did buy a few albums from Mole Jazz over the years. I think it’s notable how often Blue Note has been relaunched as a label. The Blue Note records I have are very diverse as releases - looking at a few others at random, they are: Shorter, Super Nova, 1977, UA, UK; Shorter, Schizophrenia, Blue Note/Liberty, US; Ike Quebec, Blue and Sentimental, 1986, EMI/Pathe Marconi, France DMM; Hancock, Maiden Voyage, 1965/1982, Pathe Marconi/EMI, non DMM.

To be fair I was recommending the title, not that it happens to be a TP release, and as I said, I have a CD version. The problem I find with the TP choices is that I already have recordings of those I like and it’s rare now that I’ll buy repeat copies of the same recording (not so in the past), although I might do so if I have a noisy or warped vinyl version. I did have to buy the Sam Rivers recording on TP though as I didn’t have that one.

Modern meets Mainstream 2…

“Throughout the date, the two saxophonists blend beautifully and complement one another’s efforts, even though this was their only opportunity to record together in the studio.” AllMusic.com

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

1 Like

An advert from Jazz Messengers telling me this was now on cd led me to this one.
Not much has ever changed in Scott’s styling. Thank goodness.
Sounds sweet. Mraz well picked up. Connie nicely fidgety. The pianists pass muster .:wink:
On Q and Spot. Plenty lps on discogs.
N

2 Likes

On the CD version Hank Jones, piano on tracks 1-4, Tommy Flanagan, piano on tracks 6-10.

Took a bit of searching to find on Qobuz. Not sure why.

Dave

I picked up a vinyl copy of Victor Assim Brasil - Esperanto by Far Out for a mere €10 and started these listening sessions of this talent who died way too early.

Now listening to his Jobim impressions. This version of Dindi is mesmerizing:

The love his music still got later on is represented in this recording around 2000 of Avellar, Freitas and the great Assumpção, who also died quite suddenly after this live recording. Impossible to find unfortunately, so on YouTube:

Victor Assis Brasil - Esperanto
Victor Assis Brasil - Toca Antonio Carlos Jobim
Avellar, Assumpção, Freitas - Tocando Victor Assis Brasil

Highly recommended!

awful album too

Hi @Biggles tried it as well and to be honest a little less enthusistic; they have put so many styles (some you like, some you dislike) on one album. A pitty since I believe some of the geatest jazz is from Scandinavia
Iver

Recommended. Milt at his very best

6 Likes

2 Likes

That’s fair enough, there are many styles on it and that makes it quite inconsistent.

1 Like

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

42: Hank Mobley: Soul Station (Blue Note)
Damned by the faint praise of one jazz critic, who described him as the “middleweight
champion of the tenor saxophone”, Georgia-born Mobley was often eclipsed by the work
and reputation of fellow tenor players John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins. Though not a
jazz pathfinder, he was prolific and produced a formidable body of work for Blue Note
between 1955 and 1970. His 26 albums for the label are all strong, but none are quite as
perfect as Soul Station. Surrounded by the supreme talents of Wynton Kelly, Paul
Chambers and Art Blakey, Mobley delivers a masterclass in relaxed hard bop. A sublime
mellow version of Irving Berlin’s ‘I Remember’ sets the tone for the album, which also
includes four strong original numbers (‘Dig Dis’ is the best of them) that demonstrate
Mobley’s unsung abilities as a composer. Earns its place among the best jazz albums of
all time by being one of the best albums on Blue Note.

Key song: ‘I Remember’

Enjoy

Dave

12 Likes

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Recent find UK CBS orig. A bit variable perhaps but great fun and amazing trumpetary pyrotechnics. At least one great track with ‘Superbone Meets The Bad Man’.

By way of contrast, this gem from Steve Swallow with stellar group. German ECM vinyl.

3 Likes

This evening’s play list … two ver different styles
Iver

2 Likes