Jazz Music Thread

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Clouds of Unknowing

Just discovered this on Qobuz - live Mahavishnu that I’ve not heard before. Woohoo!

You was, and it happens to be among the title choices on TP which you were critical of, hence my jerking your chain :wink:
:heart:

:joy:
Care to elaborate

Afrobeat (Fela Kuti) drummer Tony Allen Tribute To Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Blue Note 10"

1 Like

enjoying album, nice

2 Likes

Were, not was. Jerking does appear to be a speciality of yours.

1 Like

Touche :joy:

South London anarchist blues with humour !

1 Like

Still happily digging away in the King Solomon’s Mine of the Nagel Heyer catalogue. So much for an old swinger😌 to love.
Warren Vache carrying Ruby Braff’s cornet mantle.image
Diz & Roy would have been pleased with this effort. The engine room is very strong on this oneimage
Nice cover, nice title. Puma is not a name you often encounter.

I know this music isn’t stylish and might never see the light of day again as twelve inchers but it sparkles brightly.
Beautifully recorded. On Q&Spot.
N

2 Likes

I bought Patricia Barber’s latest album (I think from 2019) since not available in Tidal nor Qobuz. It is the same stunning level as all her other albums and highly recommended.
Iver

3 Likes

Picked a new copy of this box up today at a bargain price. Surprised by how much of it I didn’t already have. Effectively £1 per CD !

3 Likes

The Heavenly Ethiopiques (Heavenly Sweetness 2LP)
The Ethiopiques series of Ethiopian music stretches to getting on for 30 volumes, this 2LP set attempts the impossible task of distilling that down to a double vinyl “best of” a great introduction nevertheless.

HEAVENLY ETHIOPIQUES | Various Artists | ETHIOPIQUES SERIES

The Vinyl Factory – 16 Mar 18

Ethio-jazz in 10 essential records

1 Like

He’s really tasteful in songs’ choice and in their arrangements!

1 Like

What an awful cover. However Stitt was a hard working journey man saxophonist (alto,tenor and baritone) to whom Bird handed the keys to the Kingdom and probably wouldn’t have been to bothered if it brought in a few dollars.
John Lewis is the pianist and just listen to those wonderful and original chording behind Sonny soaring flights.
Wonderful.
N

4 Likes

I did give it a try but it sounded like one of those bbc radio 3 world music programmes broadcast when no one is listening. The South Africans seemed to make a better go of it.
Sorry not for me. I know I am set in my ways but thank you for the invitation.
N😐

1 Like

:joy:

I agree about the cover artwork. The next Atlantic release by Coltrane (SD1419) was almost as bad. However, all is forgiven once played. For those who like to spin vinyl, the recent Speakers Corner release of Stitt Plays Bird is excellent.

3 Likes

@IvdZ - where did you download this one from, I saw it before but couldn’t find it and would like to own it in high resolution…

Hi @BertBird , I found this album on NativeDSDwebsite. As an alternative the Patricia Barber website also sells the album but in regular CD quality only

Iver

Thanks I will have a look at Native DSD and will then convert back to flac…

1 Like