Jazz Music Thread

Hi @Nick1940 all good with the « coverart discussions », but this album is wonderful. Just listened to it in my newly acousticly treated listening space and it was a super-listen. I didn’t know who Sony Stitt is, but glad I learnt this album
Iver

1 Like

An album I have stayed well clear of for 45 years - there is a copy in the Big Box and it is really pretty enjoyable, sounding very good through the CD555. This Big Box is really rather good !

5 Likes

Another Stitt favourite.

He recorded extensively.
Many sessions with Gene Ammons are worth a search and listen.
N

4 Likes

I know he doesn’t look very exciting but his ‘romantic’ life story will match that of Art,Chet and Bill.
A very early be bopper.
Unknown to me but great Organ and Guitar help.
His tenor sound has a lovely woody resonance.
Well recorded.
On Q & Spot.
N

I was just going to post the sleeve for Coltranes Sound and spotted Richard beat me to it. Must be the same artist anyone know who?

:heart:

Marvin Israel was the head of Atlantic’s art department, and a fine artist in his own right.
I didn’t know but Google is your friend. :wink:

Dave

2 Likes

2 more

Marvin Israel | Discography | Discogs

2 Likes

Have quite a bit of this on the ‘Rock Candy’ Prestige twofer LPs but it’s nice to have the whole of two live sessions on CD. Very early George Benson (1963).

2 Likes

Those who know me personally will know that I don’t do jazz. But @anon4489532 pointed me to an album and I liked it (I will post about that if anyone is interested), so I bought some more with the same pianist François Couturier. This album is very interesting and lovely, not always both at the same time mind!

The album is Moderato Cantabile on ECM. It’s 88.2/24 hi res download from Presto Jazz. I don’t know it yet, but I am loving it.

1 Like

One of my favourite pianists who died far too young…

81R-cDCACdL.SS500

Enjoy

Dave

7 Likes

Young Paul Chambers (bass), Donald Byrd (trumpet) Jackie Mclean (alto) Art Taylor (drums) steaming it up with the bop piano master George Wallington - Live! At the Café Bohemia, Sept. 9, 1955 (which opened the same year in NYC).

and the year before in May 1954 at Audio-Video Studios, NYC, on Blue Note with arrangements by Quincy Jones
George Wallington - Showcase

Both sessions with extra tracks (alternates from both sessions) were re-issued on 2-CDs by Lone Hill Jazz

Complete Live at the Café Bohemia - George Wallington | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

3 Likes

Well you obviously do do Jazz, you just havent realised it
:heart:

1 Like

Thanks. A name that had slipped away.
Currently have Showcase on Spotify.
N

1 Like

Another one from the Big Sony Box which is much better than expected. Fine album !

4 Likes

I was lucky enough to catch Mulgrew quite a few times in his youth. First with Woody Shaw, then Tony Williams and then with his own group ‘Wingspan’. A phenomenal player and talented composer - sorely missed.

That ‘Yoshi’s’ album is a nice one.

1 Like

:sunglasses: Now you will have to grow a goatee beard and wear a beret.
Welcome to the home of old or getting there hipsters.
N

2 Likes

Me too, in a trio with NHOP on bass, at a Brecon Jazz Festival and at a Piano Summit concert in Salzburg , Austria, with Kenny Barron, Benny Green and Gerald Clayton. That was something. :grinning:

Dave

2 Likes

Early evening: listening time
Both recommended
Iver

1 Like

How about some Jazz Fusion - Weather Report 8:30 - original pressing from 1979. Haven’t played it in a while but is in great condition and getting all the bits tapping!!

11 Likes