Jazz Music Thread

I have the double cd. It’s in a box in the shed cause it sounds dreadful.
Such a pity because the music is wonderful.
N

2 Likes

I had never come across this before. It certainly is an odd collection of bits and pieces.
I stayed away from Malletoba Spank feeling it was not approriate for the elderly male🥵
I am still not convinced that Dizzy’s second entrance unmuted in Ummg is correctly keyed but he does drag it round. I played it four times and then accepted that old puffy cheeks knew more about music than I ever will.
Jimmy Jones concerto like accompaniment behind Rushing is weird.
Balance is a bit off at times. Could be a collection of takes that were rejected first time round.

But thanks for the recommendation. Nice to hear music from main men that had escaped my notice.
N

1 Like

Streaming on Qobuz, via Roon, 24-Bit 192 kHz.

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Yes the two cd version I was streaming is horrible, the other one I pictured is better if you want to give it a try (but I was listening on my LoFi cab stereo). I streamed a few options none particularly great SQ disappointingly but the music shone through
:heart:

I found the LP version sounded better than the two remastered versions. They sounded very poor but I enjoyed the LP.

One of my favourites… The Art of the Balkan Bass.

1 Like

I shall spend £2.49 on this film over the weekend.
I am sure it will be horribly depressing but representative of the early bebop years.
A name I have heard of but know little about. There were many Al Haig,Arnold Ross,Gildo Mahones, all deserve to be better know.

I shall have a strong stimulant and hankie at the ready.

N

I spent nothing on this. Free download on Bandcamp.

1 Like

2 Likes

Really enjoying this at the moment, especially on vinyl, also got a digital download of it.
Tim

Dexter

5 Likes

7 Likes

Have this on cd but the sound was always a bit scruffy.
Hi res on Quobuz cheers it up considerably.
Lotus Blossom at the end always sounds full of yearning. But at times they were not the best of mates.
Wonderful music.
N

Duke,Joe Pass,Ray Brown et Louis Belson.
Well recorded and seems widely available as a black 12 incher.
Just as wonderful.
N

5 Likes

I’ve had the first CD release for years and just discovered the new release, which is better. Bought it as a 96/24 download from Presto…

Beautifully recorded. Well regarded by London Jazz Critic and Dave Gelly in the Guardian.
I like to know where British Jazz is heading so I give any newcomers brought to my attention a twirl.
My difficulty with this cd,and it is my problem,is that there is no or very little chordal or harmonic accompaniment to the alto lines. Perhaps Ornett Coleman springs to mind but I have no real knowledge of these areas.
Very brave but … no I like it.
On Quobuz.
N

1 Like

I’ve just seen this link on the Hoffman forums and I’m not sure it’s been posted here. Could be another sink for our resources!

https://shop.decca.com/British-Jazz-Explosion/

2 Likes

A new name to me but in the process of checking him out on Qobuz and his website.

Lee Konitz and Paul Desmond come to mind in his playing but definitely his own man and he keeps good company.

Dave

Cheers Clive,
Some nice looking stuff there…
£200 for the Tubby Hayes Fontana box is a bit of a p#ss take though. I think I paid around £80 when it came out

It looks as if they are going to try to match the Blue Note quality - certainly Gearbox do a good mastering job. There’s plenty of potential for interesting releases. I notice they claimed the Tubby Hayes was exclusive but I couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary - currently £130 on Amazon. I expect we will find the regular LPs with some discount at our favourite stores.

2 Likes

I dont see how they can claim the Tubby Hayes as exclusive unless they’ve had some repressed “exclusively”. Anyway it can be got for a lot less elsewhere.
Gearbox are particularly good at AAA vinyl mastering which it appears these are, so looks like I might have to whip out my flexible friend yet again!
Cheers for sharing (I’ve pinched it and shared on the vinyl thread)