Jazz Music Thread

Greg Skaff.
Always trying to find you sumat new.
Apparently played with Stanley Turrentine so we might expect a very competent and professional recital.Perhaps ‘nice’ would be the best summation.
His two mates pass muster.

On Quobuz and another exemplary recording.
N

2 Likes

Sam Braysher’s debut recording in 2017 with the American pianist Michael Kanan…

Scott Yanow’s review in the Los Angeles Jazz Scene…

"On Golden Earrings, Altoist Sam Braysher and pianist Michael Kanan perform a set of duets, swinging and digging tastefully into superior standards and obscurities. Braysher, who is based in London, was 27 at the time of this 2016 recording. He has a beautiful tone that is sometimes a little reminiscent of Paul Desmond while his approach to these songs is often boppish in a fresh way. Kanan, who is from Boston, studied with former Lennie Tristano students Harvey Diamond and Sal Mosca and has worked with many top artists including Kurt Rosenwinkel, Mark Turner, Jimmy Scott, and Jane Monheit.

The music swings from the start with a medium-tempo “Dancing In The Dark.” While Braysher takes the lead, Kanan is not only a very alert accompanist but consistently offers a second equal voice. The repertoire also includes such delights as Charlie Parker’s “Cardboard,” a three-song Irving Berlin waltz medley, Tadd Dameron’s underrated “The Scene Is Clean,” and an advanced and little-known Nat King Cole composition “Beautiful Moons Ago.” “BSP” is “Love For Sale” as Lee Konitz and Lennie Tristano might have played it, and it is gratifying to hear the beautiful “Golden Earrings” interpreted with such obvious affection. The memorable program closes with an all-too-brief “Way Down Yonder In New Orleans” that climaxes with the duo playing Lester Young’s recorded solo."

Well worth checking out.

Enjoy

Dave

2 Likes

I am not keen on his vibrato-less tone. Keeps reminding me of a Casiotone. I know he is a critics’ darling these days, but didn’t do anything for me.

This is great.

8 Likes

@Biggles thanks for recommending Hustlin’ !! Very attractive album. Like it
Iver

2 Likes

Released this week on Tidal and Qobuz. Recommended!
Iver

Back to what we know.image

A fine concert performance that enthusiasm makes up for the small loss in fidelity.

Nice to hear Moody featured on alto.

The other half of Dizzy’s heartbeat.
That wonderful BBC jazz 625 programme featuring both is on YouTube.
On Qobuz.

N

1 Like

Still in an alto sax vein…
Lee_Konitz_Plays_with_the_Gerry_Mulligan_Quartet_1957

AllMusic Review by Ron Wynn

W/ Gerry Mulligan Quartet. A simply wonderful pairing of idiosyncratic talents.

Succinctly put.

Enjoy

Dave

1 Like

Not often to post by me some 60’s albums…but I ordered that one, perfectly Mint reissue, US, from 1974.
I like specially the Caravan track.

2 Likes

One of their best.
Pianist… I mentioned Gildo a few days ago. A forgotten man.
Bassist Ike Issacs… Carmen Mccrae’s husband.

Any other old fashioned nonsense :relieved: in your collection be proud and show us.

I also need some more French tv serials on Netflix recommendations.
N

1 Like

Streaming on Qobuz via Roon. Instant gratification. :grinning:

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

I feel too it’s their best album. As for french tv serials, there’s already the interesting tv thread ( the bureau, spiral , or « 10 pour cent » (call my agent), if you want to have a good comedy , then Mohamed Dubois or Le Marquis)

2 Likes

Just ordered

4 Likes

Nick - try The Announcer on Channel 4 catch-up All4. 60s Murder mystery politics hokum but tres tres chic.

Thanks. Aka speakererine.
I often seem to miss films on Walter presents.

Sorry Richard back on the jazz track now…
N

I found a remastered version of this on Quobuz as I hadn’t heard it for a while and the original is rather ‘cloudy’
This sounds a little brighter.
Same title but remastered 2020. Cover is a picture of the group.
N

Thanks for the recommendation. This is very nice indeed :+1:t3:

1 Like

Miles Davis - Freedom Jazz Dance

Really one for Miles completists only, but it is interesting to listen in on the evolution of these pieces. I’m not sure it’s something I’ll play that often.

5 Likes

The Qobuz version I’m listening to credits CM BLUE NOTE (A92) with the (original?) cover as shown.
Dave

1 Like