Jazz Music Thread

Andy’s albums with Sphere are particularly worth hunting out (vinyl only, I’m afraid). There are only two of them, sadly.

1 Like

“Espen Eriksen”

Dave

:+1: Almost.

N

1 Like

Perfectly Unhappy is another Andy Sheppard favourite. I have many of these as High Res downloads, which frustratingly I can’t play effectively right now. After the old iMac died, I’m waiting for my streamer to arrive.

Guess I’m privileged to live just outside Andy’s home city of Bristol, so I have seen him play a few times. One of the most magical was watching him duetting with a very accomplished French Harmonium (squeezebox) player in a small hall. No other instruments, yet one of the most magical gigs I have ever witnessed. No recordings exist :cry:

2 Likes

His best album? My favourite anyway. One of those albums I’ve regularly listened to since it was first released.

4 Likes

Just arrived from Discogs. Less than a fiver delivered.
Boogieing with the vacuum cleaner.
Joyful.
On Qobuz if you want a lift to your household chores.
N

2 Likes

Arguably but also worthy of consideration…

Dave

8 Likes

Finally getting the time to listen to this album properly. WOW!!

Top recommendation!

Track 3 - ‘Spiritual’ is really something. The sax part had the hairs standing up on the back of my neck

I’m heading towards ‘Deep River’ now…

Then its on to ‘Learning to Wave’

6 Likes

These are the two Sphere albums I mentioned above. Sphere was really Geoff Williams’s band, but it launched Andy Sheppard. These lean more to the avant-garde than hard bop, so I find them immensely enjoyable. They occasionally come up on Discogs and eBay, but vinyl only.

2 Likes

Hi Andy,
As your enjoying One Flight Up check out the CD or stream of the album that includes the piece Kong Neptune.
:heart:

A good band playing good tunes

This is a lovely album.

On the track Funkallero you can just hear how into it they are, and working off each other.

Brilliant.

5 Likes

A very enjoyable morning playing through this collection.

Fabulous Pure Pleasure vinyl reissue.

1 Like

Hey @narcom
I played this album three times in a row. It’s a jewel.

To be honest, I never heart of Vigleik Storaas but they are amazing. Currently listening to some of their other albums which I like as well. This thread is fantastic. I discovered so much wonderful music already

Thanks for the recommendation !

Iver

1 Like

@narcom, this one is very much in line and a lovely album as well
Iver

1 Like

Choice for this evening was primarily scandinavian jazz
All recommended
Iver

2 Likes

Very good album.

6 Likes

More last century happy music.

All of these wonderful Vanguards are now on Qobuz.
They make it sound so easy and such fun.
N

1 Like

Hi @Nick1940 ;ittle off record but I used Roon to find Mel Powell and struggled quite a bit. I have Roon hooked up to Qobuz and Tidal. Just searching in Roon for Mel Powell didn’t work at all. I had to use a combination of an album title with his name before I finally found and album. If I go to my Qobuz app I do find everything you mention quite easily.

Not sure if you are a Roon user but have you or the others here experienced similar?

Iver