Jazz Music Thread

On CD

3 Likes

Red Garland this evening listening to two stunning albums. Especially the one with Coleman Hawkins is wonderful

Iver

6 Likes

No Roon or streaming now. I just find cds in my collection and check if they are available on Qobuz before I post.
Much of the jazz I enjoy is not very popular nowadays. I fear that if it’s style is not promoted it will wither and be forgotten.
Pleased you seem to enjoy some of my suggestions.
N

2 Likes

Oh we all do @Nick1940 ; pls keep on recommending !!

I was searching Jazz Messengers for some bits and pieces for my collection and saw this.

Seems the regular crew from my time.
Thought it might be of interest.
N
I learnt that one of my old dog walking ladies used to run a jazz club many years ago with her husband.
She has a fund of wonderful memories. We were talking about Phil Seaman and his habits yesterday
so she obviously knows her stuff.
N

2 Likes

Ornette Coleman - Change of the Century

Having just recommended this to Bob the builder, I thought I’d better play it. It was recorded with the same group of musicians who recoded the magical Shape of Jazz to Come. Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins are as tight as a duck’s but still sound free and Haden turns in some memorable solos. A truly exciting jazz event.

4 Likes

Thank you for the advise, Nick!
They’re both delightful.
Have a nice evening
Maurizio

Wouldn’t be Barbara Jay would it? Used to run The Hopbine in Wembley with tenorist Tommy Whittle. They would have known Phil S. well.

I have always loved this cd, if only for brother Pike’s enthusiasm.
He does like to sing along but more Hampton than Jarrett.
That well oiled accompanying trio ofWalton/Williams/Higgins make sure he doesn’t go far wrong. His career often wandered into strange pastures but a man must make a Buck where he can.
On Qobuz.
N

2 Likes

4 Likes

Without reading the sleeve notes could you tell when they changed instruments?

Oh those wonderful pre covid times.

N

1 Like

My absolute highlight of the last months
Scandinavian jazz with lots if swing and vibraphone; gets close to the famous « Jazz at the Pawnshop » sound
Brilliantly recorded with a stunning soundstage

Iver

3 Likes

I just listened to this album twice. Fantastic.

5 Likes

Dippin’ into the 12LP version of this one.

6 Likes

Another recommended Lars Erstrand album

Iver

1 Like

On dsdfile.com

1 Like

The always brilliant Tommy Flanagan.

1 Like

Freebie or pay what you like from Jazz In Britain available til Sunday 19th Sept

:heart:

Agreed. :grinning:

Dave

Gentle music handsomely recorded.
Fitting tribute.
On Qobuz.
N

1 Like