Jazz Music Thread

Absolutely brilliant; found this using Roon’s suggested albums feature (which works pretty well by the way). Bodil Niska’s Blue album is very recommended. Ah and it’s recorded superbly

Iver

1 Like

@narcom I tried Ron Carter’s Skyline album you recommended. Thanks, another superb recommendation

Iver

2 Likes

I never get tired of listening to this.

10 Likes

Mark Gray - Boogie Hotel - 1982

Now this Fusion album I just rediscovered, (@frenchrooster , @GeoffC ,@Cemil this could be something for you as well). A very obscure find, just a couple of vinyl copies floating around. A 1982 session of keyboardist Mark Gray, accompanied by:

Bob Mintzer
Michael Brecker
Randy Brecker
Steve Gadd
And more…

Available on Vinyl and Youtube, not many other sources I think.

1 Like

Hey @Jubei I agree with you. Especially the opening track is “a killer”
Iver

3 Likes

This is also brilliant

Iver

5 Likes

Nala Sinephro is new to me, and this sounds fresh! She’s a harpist who made this album with a selection of artists from the London jazz scene many of whom have been mentioned above. All good.

3 Likes

Blues World_Small

Saw this in the shop, knew nothing about it, but thought it would be good to try something random so bought it. It’s quite enjoyable.

More be-bop than soul

1 Like

Another of Jordi Pujol’s collections. Gaudry,Humair and of course Michelot all became very famous.
Shall listen tonight with my nightcap.
N

I am sure we all love Blues and the Abstract Truth but this is what we lost.
This recording is contemporary with Blues and the Abstract and probably captures Oliver’s night job.
Jazz that you might come across in any American club. Played for an audience that paid to hear you. Nelson went on to conquer other goals.
Oliver had a lovely keening sound. Joe using mutes would have fitted in comfortably with the Duke.
Excuse Persip’s drumming malady …on the beat rim shots :triumph:and the congas are not over bearing.
All in all just what you might expect me to recommend.
N

2 Likes

Hi @Monkey_Jim thanks for recommending Nala Sinephro. She is new to me. Played het 1.8 album. Like it; even a little psychedellic, not?

Iver

Saw Harry “Sweets” Edison getting some love a short while back, so thought I’d chip in with this.
Pure Pleasure re issue of a 1958 Roulette record

Personnel: Harry Edison, trumpet/ Jimmy Forrest, tenor sax / Jimmy Jones, piano / Joe Benjamin or John Simmons on bass / Charlie Persip, drums. Kenny Drew, piano replaces Jimmy Jones on A6, B2, B3 & B6.
:heart:

2 Likes

Grant Green’s recording debut. The genesis of Elvin Jones’ drum style.

Appropriate record title for me tonight.

N

2 Likes

Also worth checking out is his 2020 recording with Paul Sikivie, double bass, and Gregory Hutchinson, drums…

To quote the record label Mack Avenue web site…
“The best way to describe Aaron Diehl’s new recording, The Vagabond, is that it is a quiet masterpiece. While this is thoroughly a jazz recording rooted in precedents set by Diehl’s forbearers such as Art Tatum, Mary Lou Williams, Ahmad Jamal, Roland Hanna and John Lewis, it will come as no surprise to fans of Diehl’s previous two Mack Avenue recordings that clear references are made to his background and simultaneous career as a classical music performer. The Vagabond also features Diehl’s interpretation of works “March from Ten Pieces for Piano, Op. 12” written by Russian great Sergei Prokofiev and “Piano Etude No. 16” by Philip Glass.”

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

Journeys In Modern Jazz: Britain (Decca 2LP)

Enjoying this 2LP compilation from the Decca British Jazz Explosion Series.
Mastered and Cut in conjunction with the always superb Gearbox Records.

Nice taste wetting entree to the other titles so far

LP1 SIDE A1
Ken Wheeler and the John Dankworth Orchestra | Don The Dreamer
2Don Rendell Quintet | A Matter Of Time
3Collin Bates Trio | Brew
4John Surman, John Warren | With Terry’s Help
LP1 SIDE B
1Michael Garrick Sextet | Second Coming
2Mike Westbrook Concert Band | Waltz (for Joanna)
3Stan Tracey And His Big Band | Matinee Days
4Harry Beckett | Third Road
LP2 SIDE A
1Neil Ardley, Ian Carr, Don Rendell | Greek Variations: VI Kriti [edit]
2The New Jazz Orchestra | Angle
3Alan Skidmore Quintet | Old San Juan LP2 SIDE B
1Dick Morrissey Quartet | Storm Warning
2Mike Taylor Quartet | To Segovia
3Michael Gibbs | Some Echoes, Some Shadows

:heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation. I’ll try find it.

1 Like

Indeed! A touch of Alice Coltrane in there I’d say.

1 Like

Hey @jazzman22 , yeah I know this Aaron Dhiel album very well. It’s wonderful
Iver

1 Like