Jazz Music Thread

He was born in St. Louis.

St. Louis is a great place for music at times. The St. Louis Symphony is top notch and we get some great jazz coming through. I saw two different Chick Corea Trios in the last 4 years of his life in St. Louis (he kicked off his 75th birthday tour here, and I was there for it).

The deal with Anouar Brahem and other ECM artists is that the rare occasions they visit the US it tends to be NYC, LA and not much else. Maybe Chicago.

2 Likes

Currently listening to this track again.

It is something special.

Eclectic - and electrically charged.

1 Like

I’ll check it out when I turn the NDX2 on again.

If you don’t know this one, it’s amazing….Clifford Jordan with Stanley Cowell, et al. One of the best reissues from Pure Pleasure’s project doing the Strata-East titles.

5 Likes

I didn’t. Thank you!

1 Like

John McLaughlin is playing at the Barbican in May.

I found this one on Qobuz. Sounds clear and bright.
Mraz’sbass is sufficient to drive the group on slower numbers.

I enjoy the slightly boppish Johnny Hodges with perhaps a squirt of Desmond sound. New and enjoyable to me.
Later Terry I can do without. He would probably been more at home with Andre Rieu.

2 Likes

John McLaughlin has done so much amazing music, with Miles, with Mahavishnu Orchestra, with Paco de Lucia and Al de Meolia…

It’s quite a trip to make, though, with Mrs. JimDog as we have to get someone to look after the children and stay with friends or in a hotel.

That’s what we did when we saw Brad Mehldau at the Barbican pre lockdowns.

We are going to a twice-postponed-by-covid GoGo Penguin gig at the Albert Hall in Manchester on the 2nd March.

Thanks JDP.

I’ll give that a spin later on.

That must be a reference to the Herman Hesse novel.

I read several Hesse books in my youth, including The Glass Bead Game and the wonderful novella/poem, Siddhartha.

The Glass Bead Game was a vision of a future enclave where a community of scholars work to attain a post-disciplinary understanding of the world.

The main character eventually realizes he needs to go back out of the Ivory Tower to make further progress.

It was also an anti-Fascist allegory.

So an interesting theme to improvise around.

2 Likes

Hi Jim

I tried to buy a ticket for the Leeds Gig but it appears that the concert may have been cancelled :thinking:

Rob

Thanks for letting me know, Rob.

I just found that list last night on the ECM site, but it’s not been updated yet, I suppose.

Anyway, let’s keep our eyes open for good gigs up North.

Jim

1 Like

Sure Jim.

If we arrange to go to any Leeds you are welcome to have a listen to my modest set up :relaxed::+1:. I’m sure that Richard will forward emails if we ask him politely.

Rob

1 Like

That would be great, Rob.

My dad did chemistry at Leeds Uni in the 50’s, and my sister did Russian and French at Leeds Uni in the 70s.

I used to go up there and see gigs while she was there.

cheers
Jim

1 Like

I was aware of ECM because of Radio 3 ‘Late Junction’ but am a beginner at listening to Jazz. Sat and listened to Keith Jarrett Koln concert 1975 this afternoon.

I’ll certainly explore ECM recordings further.

7 Likes

Attending with friends the Billy Cobham Band concert on 26/02 at Blue Note Milano.

4 Likes

He’s a super fast and funky drummer.

Love his track ‘Interactive’ with Brian Auger.

An easy place to jump into Jarrett’s large corpus on ECM is this album, Whisper Not.

I especially enjoy the track Groovin High!

7 Likes

Appreciated JimDog!

1 Like

If you’re into Jarrett and don’t mind his squeaking habit, try ‘At the Deerhead Inn’ and a favourite of mine, ‘The Cure’. Both are on the ECM label FWIW.

6 Likes

“vocalizing” :wink:

Dave

1 Like

I take it as a sign of enthusiasm and physically entering into the music. In the classical world Glen Gould was notorious, but lots of pianists seem to do it too - Alfred Brendel and Radu Lupu hum along. I don’t mind it.

2 Likes