Jazz Music Thread

Interesting to see that ECM have moved Utrecht to Belgium. Last I looked it was smack-bang in the middle of the Netherlands still… :smirk:

Hey @Nick1940 thanks for Downtime Meeting. I just love the “Scandinavian and Domnerus - sound”. I thought I knew most of his albums, but this one is new for me. Also very well recirded I noticed !
Iver

Saxophone :saxophone: magic
Iver

1 Like

I was a little rude about Clark Terry earlier. Together with a group of known and little known musicians he fits in well. Lovely laid back ambiance.

A good entry point for modern jazz students. The solos are often 2 or 3 choruses and it easier to understand the arc of the soloists intent and contribution.

I was brought up on pink Vogue 78s so have a very short attention span.
Any solo longer than 5x32 bars looses me.

I’ve had these two cds for years and they still sound wonderful on Qobuz.
Full line ups can be googled.

2 Likes

Thanks (!) again “algorithm of Roon”; I got below album by Billy Taylor suggested. It is stunning. The man is magic on piano

Iver

3 Likes

3 Likes

Great Coltrane album that I haven’t heard before. It blows me away.

4 Likes

Singing!

He’s singing with total abandon to the powers of his own body as he lets it go to play the piano for him!

Yes, that Deer Head Inn live album is superb.

It’s a pub on the way upstate out of NY.

Motian on drums is best behaved I ever heard him.

And it just gels between the 3 of them.

1 Like

Paul Bley did it too.

And iirc Jarrett said that when was starting out he played the first Paul Bley LP with Mingus and Art Blakey until he almost wore out the grooves.

1 Like

This is fun:

1 Like

Slightly of thread topic
Just ordered " Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue - Modern Jazz’s Holy Grail" book by Brian Morton

1 Like

Cory Henry is an amazing keyboard player. I have seen him play with Snarky Puppy and had a brief chat with him after the gig. Additionally I was at the RAH when he played with Jacob Collier for a Quincy Jones Celebration Prom, which was a wonderful and memorable night.

1 Like

I discovered him thanks to Linn Jazz Radio: pleasant listening and excellent recording

Just wanted to add this album to your list of musically moving Mal Waldron albums. It takes the first track for the engineer to dial in the right settings but from them beautiful playing on all sides imho.

5 Likes

I have that album too. Actually I have Mal/1 and Mal/2 as a double LP (One And Two) on a French Prestige (Carrere) reissue. However, sides 3/4 (Mal/2) are in the order they were recorded rather than the Mal/2 track sequence.

Hey JDP

That album you recommended is a gem.

I keep playing it and it makes me smile.

It’s all three of them together.

Albert Tootie Heath, wow - his drum tuning is ethereal, and his playing…tight, poised, hypnotic solos.

E.g. in this track at 14 mins.

3 Likes

This one’s worth a spin, Stokie.

Live performance of 3 brilliant players feeding off one another’s ideas.

8 Likes

It is a gem, and I’m glad you are getting joy from it. The Bill Evans Montreux Festival is a good one too.

I have the Analogue Productions box set of Bill Evans Complete Riverside Recordings. I am playing Portrait In Jazz as I type this.

8 Likes

Thank you JimDog! I’ve not listened to anything in the last couple of days, as we have been concerned with the funeral of my father-in-law. But he was enthusiastic about Bill Evans and was the first to draw my attention to him. He was 84 and I know many of his generation discovered jazz during their army service in the 1950s and early 1960s. I’m grateful for your suggestions and will listen when we have time and energy to do so. We are clearing his house, always a sad task.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear that.

I made a speech at my father’s funeral in May.

He was 92, and it was just time for him to go after a long, happy and productive life.

He loved orchestral music, and singing old folk songs.

As it happens, I have just cleaned his vintage Titanium Speedwell bike.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Jim

4 Likes