Jazz Music Thread

I’ve been dining out on

My 5si is working over time…and my wife’s threatening to leave me if I play it again (Dolphy was involved and very talented Scotty LaFaro taken from us too soon…

5 Likes

Thanks for your good wishes, Jim. I’ve just seen your post and your picture of your father’s bike. I’m not a cyclist, but that looks a classic. All good wishes,
Derek

1 Like

Arrived this morning and been playing it most of the day - fabulous… @JosquinDesPrez @Lontano @JimDog

10 Likes

Brilliant, you near Exeter or Plymouth? I want to set up a SW or ‘Devon’ vinyl thread at some point.

More lost tapes found in someone’s loft.
Sounds quite special on Qobuz.
Presume it’s Stan on Vibes. Crombie and Napper assisting.
Although I was already involved in 1959 I can’t remember this dump.

Courtesy Dave Gelly Guardian.
Yes it might have well been cold enough to wear your mac whilst playing. Sorry stylish trench coat.

Did you find this one on Qobuz.
Mosaic box set. So sounding good.
9.1/2 hours.

2 Likes

Ah nice @Nick1940 ; I iverlooked that one. Playing it as we speak: 136 tracks … love it
Iver

Not sure anyone on here has any interest because you are all so young but Qobuz has an excellent series using jazz music from the late ‘50 to early ‘60s. Many visiting American musicians featured.

There are several other titles.
Wonderful memories.

4 Likes

More music for the elderly.

The same collection is on Qobuz but with a different cover.
Over 7 hours of hum along.

I collect Mosaics and as this is available used for a reasonable cost I shall invest.

3 Likes

Emily Remler - Take Two

Although recorded in the 80s, you might like Emily Remler too. I think I have most of, if not all, her recorded material. She was a great bebopper with a style heavily influenced by Wes, but her last album (This is Me) showed an evolution towards a more contemporary style.

6 Likes

Stan Getz and J. J. Johnson ‘At The Opera House’.

3 Likes

Do try this one as well.
It has the wonderfully wry Bob Brookmeyer playing valve trombone and the musically mangled piano styling of John Williams. Not that one.
These were Stan’s chosen partners of the time.

The first lp I ever bought.

4 Likes

@Nick1940
I like that one, as well as their 1961 session

• Al & Bob

3 Likes

Folder
Amazing - I was just listening to this one - love Bob Brookmeyer on valve trombone
1957 recording

3 Likes

Hamp & Getz. 1955

1 Like

With Billy Cobham at Blue Note Milano.

5 Likes

A lesser known but very enjoyable Brookmeyer disc.

1 Like

More Rabbit.

The last music the old boy recorded under his own name.
Interesting mix of Oliver Nelson’s arrangements,do bop scat and blues singers,Randy Breker’s trumpet and twangy blues guitar.
So far removed from his usual Dukish work. Is this where he found himself musically at the end?
He rises imperiously above what ever else is going on.
Sounds clear and bright on Qobuz.
Hmmmm.

1 Like

Just come across this excellent Jim Hall album with brilliant band members and very good SQ:

8 Likes

Wow !

2 Likes