Jazz Music Thread

@JimDog We can’t have too much Jim Hall…

51taFoAsO3L.AC

AllMusic by Scott Yanow

After the Jazztet that he co-led with tenor-saxophonist Benny Golson broke up, flugelhornist Art Farmer led a pianoless quartet during 1963-64 with guitarist Jim Hall. For this reissue in the Atlantic Jazzlore series, Farmer and Hall are joined by bassist Steve Swallow and drummer Walter Perkins. Their repertoire is a bit surprising since four of the five songs were veteran swing standards; all but Miles Davis’s obscure “Swing Spring.” Hall (who has “I’m Gettin’ Sentimental over You” as his feature) was a perfect musical partner for Farmer since both musicians have mellow sounds and thoughtful improvising styles that are more complex than expected. This 1987 reissue is well worth picking up. The group only lasted long enough to make three records, all of which are out-of-print.

Streaming on Qobuz.

Enjoy

Dave

5 Likes

Thus album is not OOP. It’s available as a Speakers Corner reissue that sounds great. I bought it last year and it’s still available from Acoustic Sounds and likely the other usual places. It’s a great album.

The version I’m streaming on Qobuz credits Rhino Atlantic but there are others.

For me vinyl is a distant memory. :grinning:

Dave

That may be, but you did tell readers the record is out of print, and that’s just not the case currently. I just wanted to set it straight because for those who do play records still it’s well worth acquiring on vinyl.

1 Like

Haven’t played this for years.

Duster by the Gary Burton Quartet.

1 Like

What shall I listen to whilst I have my dinner?
Ah Qobuz have a new selection featuring female jazz artists.
I was quite sceptical (born that way) and after one or two efforts that might well have had a home on the BBC light programme I then discovered a few unknown names and gems,

Par example.

Wife of George Coleman tenor player who has a few Smoke titles and was with Miles for a while. Didn’t last long.

For someone who looks resolutely backwards for his jazz pleasure I enjoyed quite a few tracks and learnt a bit.

Thank you Q.

Fair point but in defence I was quoting from the Qobuz stream.

Dave

Meh,…those digital guys get confused easily. :joy:

1 Like

It is still available on CD too. I agree, it is a great album.

2 Likes

Bobby Previte, Weather Clear, Track Fast

Classy music with the 2 clarinet interplay standing out.

I think the cover says it all.
On Qobuz.

3 Likes

I took out 3 months of Tidal to see if it sounded different to
Qobuz (it doesn’t) and whether had any good stuff that was missing from Qobuz.

So far I’ve only found this peach of an album:

Does anyone know of other stuff Tidal has that Qobuz does not?

4 Likes

I have this album on Qoduz.

Agree with your comment “this peach of an album”.

Dave

Hey Dave

That’s great - the whole album Trilogy is now playable on Qobuz.

In the past I could only find that album on Qobuz with one track that can be played (‘Work’).

Now all of it is playable.

Another reason not to get Tidal.

thanks
Jim

1 Like

Both of the two Chick Corea Trilogy albums are on Qobuz. I have them in my favorites.

1 Like

Until today, on the version of Trilogy I had bookmarked on Qobuz all the tracks but one were ‘greyed out’ and unplayable.

But now they’re not… :grinning:

2 Likes

Must be a regional thing. I’ve had them for a long time (years?).

Yes, maybe.

Or I just imagined the whole thing!

It would be a bit of a coincidence that all tracks but one stopped being greyed out at the exact time I had a Tidal account (i.e. the last 2 months).

Add it to the list of utterly trivial mysteries that will never be solved.

1 Like

This tune is well funky.

1 Like

A large bundle of infectious happiness:

4 Likes