Jazz Music Thread

‘Chet Baker in Bologna’ is a fantastic record by Chet, Philip Catherine and Jean-Louis Rassinfosse on bass.

And here is the new cover:

2 Likes

I played this Charlie Mariano album ‘October’ on Qobuz recently and enjoyed it so much I bought a vinyl copy. Strangely the Qobuz streamed version sounded as if it was sourced from an LP as groove noise can clearly be heard. The album was only released on vinyl I believe.

1 Like

Great music, great technical and sound quality

4 Likes

A jewel by two artists that are new to me
Very good, very well recorde and a very relaxing listen
Iver

Sheppard and Parricelli. P.S. CD. I always enjoy this. Sax and Guitar.

71Y7+ZiG0uL.SS500

3 Likes

Hi @Collywobbles tryi g to find this ine in Qobuz and Tidal, but failed. Where did you get it?
Iver

I have had it a few years. I would have got it from Amazon. I also have Alba by John Parricelli which I think is excellent. JP was in my class at school so I am a bit biased, but I think he is a very tasteful guitar player.
I can see a few CDs on Amazon now.

2 Likes

Trying some other records from him right now
Iver

1 Like

A pianist I’ve haven’t explored before. My loss. :grinning:

Live at Birdland - AllMusic.com Review

by Jeff Tamarkin

Steve Kuhn has been recording professionally for close to five decades, most of which time he’s operated stealthily, rarely achieving the level of recognition he so richly deserves for contributing his immaculate pianistry to a range of jazz greats who have included John Coltrane, Stan Getz, Ornette Coleman, Art Farmer and others, or for leading his own diverse bands. In the mid-'80s Kuhn worked briefly in a trio setting with bassist extraordinaire Ron Carter and drummer Al Foster, cutting a pair of releases, The Vanguard Date and Life’s Magic. Two decades later, that trio reconvened at New York’s Birdland, and this exquisite aural document of their performance serves as a reminder that, at close to 70, Kuhn is one of jazz piano’s unheralded giants. He is as sharp, imaginative and dexterous as he was during his younger years, and with Carter and Foster he is at home – the musicians reportedly didn’t rehearse for these shows, yet they sound as if they’d been at one another’s sides for the past 20 years. At Birdland, the trio revisited four compositions that appeared on the earlier albums: Kuhn’s own “Clotilde” and “Two by Two,” Carter’s “Little Waltz” and the Fats Waller standard “Jitterbug Waltz,” the latter deconstructed into an 11-minute tour de force that, like much of the music in the set, allows the three musicians to explore a number of tempos, moods and tones. Kuhn, Carter and Foster alternately strut individually and lock intuitively into an airtight groove that takes surprising and pleasing twists before returning to the initial theme. Whether on the opening track, Frank Loesser’s “If I Were a Bell,” the fusing of Debussy’s “La Plus Que Lente” and Billy Strayhorn’s “Passion Flower,” or the closer, Charlie Parker’s “Confirmation,” Kuhn establishes a template with light and sensitively executed solo figures before opening things up for all to take off to places unknown. There’s a fine balance of simplicity and complexity at work here, but perhaps because he no longer needs to prove anything at this stage in his career, Kuhn seems to have lightened up – the experimentalism of his ECM period has given way to an approach that is, while still at times blindingly intense, simultaneously light and playful. It’s not a bad place for a master to be.

Streaming on Qobuz

Dave

6 Likes

It doesn’t get any better. Pat Jenkins,Eli Robinson…. Some of the many stars of the Harlem late ‘30s musical scene that have drifted into obscurity. Short,sharp solos.Neat heads and tails.

Or

Sounding quite glorious on Qobuz.

1 Like

The 50th anniversary of Facing You

Keith Jarrett’s first-ever solo disc, made at the beginning of his long creative association with ECM in 1971, and cited as an influence by innumerable pianists since then.

Released March 1972.

Dave

4 Likes

To cold and windy for this old body to venture forth today.

I have been with Lester Young live in Washington. Five or six volumes so it has been a dedicated task. I can report he sounds his normal 1956 chipper self.
Decent accompaniment and sound. He did prefer tickety tickety with out too much boom boom from the drummer.His words. A language of his own making. I
On Qobuz but not with that photo in the listings. Looks as though the old boy has just woken up. Always immaculately dressed.

Good trio from Portugal.

2 Likes

Excellent 90’s post-bop session lead by pianist Kenny Barron and featuring English born tenor saxophonist Ralph Moore.

AllMusic Review by Stephen Cook

Kenny Barron has been a respected jazz pianist since the early '60s, but it wasn’t until the mid-‘70s that he began coming into his own as a composer; deftly working complex time signatures and mercurial melodies into seamlessly swinging numbers, agile sambas, and lovely ballads. Fifteen years on, Invitation finds Barron in full maturity as a writer and in the sympathetic company of tenor saxophonist Ralph Moore, bassist David Williams, and drummer Lewis Nash. Barron’s democratic pen runs the gamut here as he distills Monk’s angular jubilance on “And Then Again,” produces one of his most beautiful ballads in “Dewdrop,” and works a fine bossa nova groove on “Joanne Julia.” The covers are no less impressive. Barron and the group swing solid and fleet on Bronislaw Kaper’s caustically subdued “Invitation” and place John Lewis’ “Parisian Afternoon” in a gently swinging light. “You Don’t Know What Love Is” is read solo by Barron with mysterious aplomb, and “Blue Monk” gets a strong blues reading. Throughout, Ralph Moore’s choice tenor lines glide over the notes, Lewis Nash’s tasteful drumming impressively anchors the group, and Barron’s inventive solos ride atop the band in full stride. With great material, solid playing, and the full Criss Cross sound, Invitation ends up as one of Kenny Barron’s finest outings of the 1990s.

Streaming on Qobuz

Enjoy

Dave

2 Likes

Tried the Buddy Tate albums !! Nice @Nick1940 , thanks for posting
Iver

1 Like

Perhaps also a good one, but this is the one I was referring to…

4 Likes

Brother Russell was so much better than the Dixieland music that earnt him his living.
Try this

If Gerry Mulligan had played the clarinet (on record) his quartet might have sounded like this.

Wonderful character.

1 Like

Hi @BertBird agree with you, that one is even better. I don’t have the DSD version, but Qobuz delivers a very well sounding 24bits. Tremendous play by trumpet vs drums !!
Iver

1 Like

An old favourite, not played for years.

1 Like