Jazz Music Thread

So honoured to have Keyon sign my LP :relaxed::pray:t2:

Hey @Nick1940 thanks for this one; I enjoyed it a lot
Iver

2 Likes

5 Likes

Well here is a rare photo Miles smiling.

Nice concert together with more pictures.
Pres who I am really interested in performs regally and shows the lad a trick or two.

3 Likes

Que for the album…

Miles Smiles - AllMusic Review

by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

With their second album, Miles Smiles, the second Miles Davis Quintet really began to hit their stride, delving deeper into the more adventurous, exploratory side of their signature sound. This is clear as soon as “Orbits” comes crashing out the gate, but it’s not just the fast, manic material that has an edge – slower, quieter numbers are mercurial, not just in how they shift melodies and chords, but how the voicing and phrasing never settles into a comfortable groove. This is music that demands attention, never taking predictable paths or easy choices. Its greatest triumph is that it masks this adventurousness within music that is warm and accessible – it just never acts that way. No matter how accessible this is, what’s so utterly brilliant about it is that the group never brings it forth to the audience. They’re playing for each other, pushing and prodding each other in an effort to discover new territory. As such, this crackles with vitality, sounding fresh decades after its release. And, like its predecessor, ESP, this freshness informs the writing as well, as the originals are memorable, yet open-ended and nervy, setting (and creating) standards for modern bop that were emulated well into the new century. Arguably, this quintet was never better than they are here, when all their strengths are in full bloom.

Enjoy

Dave

8 Likes

Don’t be put off my the marketing this is a fine record.
John’s gracious and open piano.
Be ravished by Paul Gonsalves’ Body and Soul.
Herb Pomeroy has a lovely round tone. He became a teacher.
Then move on to Dolphy and Golson.
Jim Hall lurks.
Sure it’s gentle but that was John.
On Qobuz but Connie Kay’s drumming is difficult to detect.

2 Likes

Joe Albany. Classy bebop pianist who’s been rather forgotten.

2 Likes

Film about Joe’s life. Seems generally available to stream for £2.50.

1 Like

Also worth checking out…

Two’s Company AllMusic Review

by Scott Yanow

After being poorly documented during the first 30 years of his career, pianist Joe Albany made quite a few records (mostly for European labels) during 1971-77. This duet set with bassist Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen (reissued on CD) finds Albany in particularly good form on six veteran standards including “Out Of Nowhere,” “Lover Man” and “Star Eyes.” His lyrical and boppish style was still very much intact and Albany is heard in prime form on the thoughtful yet swinging set.

Streaming on Qobuz.

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

Excellent report, thanks. I fully agree with the comments.
Maurizio

1 Like

2 Likes

So looked for it on on my shiny new qobuz, nope, Napster yes :thinking:
So much for elite streaming services :sweat_smile:

Great album btw

I found the album on Qobuz via Roon. :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

It’s on Tidal as well.

1 Like

Yes my bad, it’s on qobuz, for some reason Sonos app not finding it :confused:

Jarrett related. Classy guitarist.

I would put this in my top fifty records.
Zoot never fails.
Dave McKenna best left hand this side of…
George Tucker, BlueNote stalwart.
But almost pinching the show …Danny Richmond released from Mingus’ embrace plays with such fire. I think they are his little groans of pleasure :wink: we hear.
Wonderful in your face recording. Not VG too much presence.

3 Likes

Found on Apple Music too.
A very pleasant record, thanks!
Maurizio

1 Like