Jazz Music Thread

Great pianist who made some terrific albums for Concord, although the only one I can find on Tidal is Maybeck vol 2.

1 Like

This is a “pearl”. I think it was released a week ago
On ECM label
Iver

4 Likes

The ‘down home” album is indeed lovely @Nick1940 ; just had a listen and marvellous
Thanks for calling it out
Iver

Hey @narcom I didn’t know Martin Wind but tried the album you suggested. It’s stunning. I a now listening to,more of his albums (i.e « Air »)
Thanks for recommending !!
Iver

Was sad to read whilst pottering about on organissimo that one of my favourite pianists has left us.
Sadly only two cds on Qobuz but she did have an enormous hatred of streaming web sites not giving the artist their full due.

I must have twenty to twenty five of her cds.
On Qobuz. Handsome piano sound.

5 Likes

Thank you Roon for your stunning self-learning algorithms … playing Some Carmen Gomes, I got this jewel suggested. The guy us stunning in his Acoustic Bass
Iver

Nicely straight ahead and I suppose to many on a BlueNote diet quite vulgar. This is how money was earnt. Dancing and drinking in clubs. Pit bands etc. but poshed up a bit for the record.Where youngsters cut their teeth. Coltrane started with Earl Bostic.
Those tracks with Ben (the Brute from Ellington days) who goes first on track one and lays it out but doesn’t beat the youngster.
Another fine David Stone Martin cover.

I often include Norman Granz in my prayers.

2 Likes

@Nick1940 nice one, just listened to it

“Sadly only two cds on Qobuz…”

In Roon I counted 46 albums!?!

But it didn’t include the two you highlighted.

Dave

Enjoy,
Iver

1 Like

I don’t really understand how Roon works. I shall have a study and perhaps find it beneficial and give it a trial.
I sometimes think a youth on a job opportunities scheme could well make a better job of presenting the Qobuz library. Hopeless.
I did find several other cds but those are marked not for streaming
Eg At Yoshis 1&2.
They also get muddled up with a soul singer who has the same name.

One of Sonny Stitt’s last recordings. The old boys seem to be enjoying themselves.
Pianist Eddie Higgins made a lot of romantic piano trio records. The covers often featured young women lolling about in their pants and a bit of chiffon. I can’t tell you how I know this.
Drummer Duffy Jackson was the son of Woody Herman’s first herd bassist Chubby.
The bass player here,as my medical consultant says about me…presents well.

1 Like

Peter Martin often appears as a sideman with the likes of Christian McBride, Joshua Redman, Wynton Marsalis but featured on this album with his own trio…

In the P.M. - AllMusic Review

by Scott Yanow

Peter Martin has a lyrical and lightly swinging style on piano. For this well-rounded set, he is heard leading a piano trio that also includes bassist Reuben Rogers and drummer Greg Hutchinson, doubling on electric piano, taking a couple unaccompanied solos, and, on three numbers, accompanying the pleasant if rather safe vocals of Erin Bode (who is most effective on a sweet version of “It Could Happen to You”). Martin has a likable style that is heard at its best on an uptempo “Never Let Me Go,” his complex original “Modern Cacophony,” Jesse Davis’ melodic “Only in a Dream” (which deserves to become a standard), and a blues-oriented tribute to Ray Brown, “'Ting for Ray.” All in all, a recommended set of accessible jazz.

Released 2005

@Nick1940 Discovered via Jessica Williams’ MAXJAZZ piano series albums (streaming on Qobuz).

Enjoy

Dave

2 Likes

Well recorded. On Qobuz and should upset no one.
Dave Burns. Early Hutcherson.

Atmospheric live recording. Oliver Nelson and enthusiastic drumming by Ed Shaughnesy.

1 Like

This award winning Chasing Trane The John Coltrane Documentary is being shown tonight on Sky Arts 21:00hr. Freeview slot 11 for those without Sky or Virgin.

Dave

6 Likes

Looking forward to this - thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

I have the DVD. If you haven’t seen it before you are in for a treat.

Dave

1 Like

The (music) soundtrack is on Tidal.

…and Qobuz.

Chasing Trane: The John Coltrane Documentary [Original Soundtrack] AllMusic Review

by Matt Collar

If you asked someone to make you a single-disc mixtape of legendary jazz saxophonist John Coltrane’s most important recordings, focused on both his creative innovations and abiding spirituality, you’d probably get something akin to the soundtrack to the 2017’s Chasing Trane: The John Coltrane Documentary. Directed by acclaimed documentarian John Scheinfeld (Who Is Harry Nilsson…?, The U.S. vs. John Lennon), Chasing Trane attempts to encompass Coltrane’s life and career, from his early days as a freelance bebop musician in Philadelphia to his transformation into a deeply spiritual, avant-garde-influenced jazz giant. Not surprisingly, the soundtrack feels thoughtfully curated and while not exhaustive, offers a succinct portrait of the saxophonist. Rather than putting tracks in chronological order, here we get a more narrative structure with Coltrane’s most indelible moments presented in a timely and emotionally gratifying manner. Fittingly, Scheinfeld and producer Harry Weinger kick things off dramatically with what is arguably Coltrane’s most important recording, 1965’s landmark “A Love Supreme, Pt. 1: Acknowledgment” off A Love Supreme. From there, they move backward to his propulsively swinging rendition of Irving Berlin’s “Russian Lullaby,” off 1958’s Soultrane, and later, they go forward again to his visceral rumination on the 1963 racially motivated bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church, “Alabama,” off 1964’s Live at Birdland. We also get such essential recordings as 1958’s “Moment’s Notice,” 1960’s “Giant Steps,” and 1961’s “My Favorite Things.” Admittedly, several essential sides are missing, including “Blue Train,” “Central Park West,” “Equinox,” and “Naima,” not to mention anything Coltrane recorded with Miles Davis. While these omissions mean that Chasing Trane is by no means a definitive collection, it isn’t intended to be, and instead offers a moving portrait of Coltrane’s ascension into jazz mythology.

Dave

1 Like