Jazz Music Thread

Hey @Nick1940 , again thanks. This time I tried your Tony Coe album. In the mean time I listened to his complete oeuvre ; nice, nice !!
Iver

1 Like

Another one featuring:-
Tony Coe (s)
Gerard Presencer (flug)
Brian Lemon (p)

Like you say, Gerard not well known. I did see him play live in a Kent pub a good number of years ago, his solos were fantastic !

2 Likes

1 Like

On Qobuz filed under New Stan Tracey Quartet.
Fine performance from Gerard. Stan never recorded a dud.
Nice enigmatic smile.

2 Likes

The previous two records are also very good!

4 Likes

@Maupas54 I know those. Fully agree; very nice ones
Iver

2 Likes

Great Enja compilation, just out

1 Like

Enjoying this today

1 Like

This evenings selection begins as follows:

1 Like

Light as a feather. Nothing left to prove.
Wish I could discover which of the two guitarists was soloing. Nothing on the cd cover reverse (Discogs).
Sounds wonderful on Qobuz.

1 Like

The Real You: A Bill Evans Tribute
Enrico Pieranunzi (piano) Thomas Fonnesbæk (bass)

“Former Tyner and Corea disciple embraces the melodicism he says he discovered through working with Chet Baker” Andy Hamilton Jazz Journal

Recorded: Denmark, July 2020

Streaming on Qobuz.

Enjoy

Dave

2 Likes

Amazing jazz …Dizzy Gillespie…the verve

3 Likes

Torn - Carmen Gomes Inc

2 Likes

This is a great atmospheric recording. Beets Brothers - Live in Holland.

@Nick1940 Thanks for the heads up on this one - got a copy of the CD - ripped and on my 2nd listen - some really great stuff on here !

1 Like

A&M Horizon LP

3 Likes

Really enjoyed this album… some interesting covers of old favourites. Rony Verbiest plays Dave Brubeck.

Stormy Weather Review

by Ken Dryden

Andrea Pozza has been one of the most promising jazz pianists to emerge on the European jazz scene at the turn of the 21st century, and Philology owner Paolo Piangiarelli has responded by recording him frequently. This impressive bop stylist is joined by two talented musicians, bassist Ares Tavolazzi and drummer Stefano Bagnoli, with two veterans as special guests. Pozza opens with a snappy trio arrangement of “Speak Low” featuring each player in turn; they also offer an effective interpretation of Miles Davis’ “No Blues.” Trumpeter Enrico Rava is showcased generously in two richly textured takes of “Stormy Weather” and a very relaxing “My Ship,” and Rava switches to flügelhorn for a warm, swinging take of “I’m Getting Sentimental Over You.” Tenor saxophonist Gianni Basso is added for a cooking rendition of “I Can’t Give You Anything But Love.” This is yet another memorable session from the small but prolific independent label Philology.

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

Hi Nick, according to the Arbors Records site the featured guitarists are Gray Sargent and Jon Wheatley, plus Marshall Wood on bass :+1:

Very listenable.

1 Like