Jazz Music Thread

John Coltrane - Africa Brass

A great follow to Max Roach’s Percussion Bitter Sweet

An interesting coincidence, this one also has Booker Little and this, Max Roach and the Candid re issues I posted earlier all come from 1961

:heart:

3 Likes

I can listen to it on my Qobuz or it’s on Spotify free y.

Strange.

Maybe its me , I’ll put my fibocals on and have another look

Thank you all. After one week’s biz trip in India without any hifi this is just what I need to refresh. Great suggestions!

Regardless of your thoughts and opinions about current times my man never lets you down.
Some wonderful piano tucked in here and I offer it up as a tribute.
Apparently the old charmer was quite taken …

4 Likes

This evenings list

3 Likes

One more tonight; this Sonny Rollins album is very recommended
Iver

6 Likes

Love the Horace Parlan
but the other Justin Chart (?) is totally new to me and intriguing.
Added to my Justin Case playlist
Cheers

1 Like

@Dreadatthecontrols new to me as well. Popped up in the »new album » section of Roon and gave it a try. Not 100% sure I like it, so need a re-listen
Iver

1 Like

Is that album named? He made so many records…

Hi @Richard
It’s called « Sony Stitt Plays »
Iver

Thanks Iver.

1 Like

Prompted by @IvdZ Sonny Rollins Contemporary selection…

A favourite here from 1957 with Sonny in a Trio setting with Ray Brown and Shelley Manne.
Daft cover shot which seemed to be a thing with a lot of Contemporary label stuff.

6 Likes

Sonny Rollins - The Bridge

Always enjoy this one from 1962.

The album he made after going into semi retirement for a few years after those great albums for Prestige and Contemporary. Apparently struggling with his playing, during which time he would practice on on of The Bridges in New York (dont recall which one).
I think its an album that tends to get overlooked as I believe many critics at the time were expecting him to return with something new in the Free Jazz mould that was attracting interest at the time.

7 Likes

im adicted to these cd i listened it akmoust 3 hours yesterday night

5 Likes

I think it was the Williamsburg Bridge.

After his lay off many critics were maybe expecting something radically different but it’s still one of his best albums.

He became more adventurous on later albums.

Dave

2 Likes

The great Jamaican pianist Monty Alexander recorded Live in Miami

Monty Alexander- Love You Madly, Live At Bubbas

1 Like

Thanks to @Corry for this

A campaign to get the Williamsburg Bridge renamed Sonny Rollins Bridge

https://sonnyrollinsbridge.net/our-quest/

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation @Nick1940

I got my peeper enhancers on and found it, and theres 6 other volumes!

Was Jack Teagardens Big Eight a short lived group, I dont see many tracks credited to that band

1 Like

The rest of that cd was pretty dire,but I thought I would make you suffer in the name of art.

Probably money was earned from the dance orchestra and public appearances. This was the height of Goodman etc. Every one had a band,every one danced. ……not sure about my dad.

Probably recorded and played a little jazz to keep sane.