Jazz Music Thread

Always interested in anything new from Courtney Pine…

Courtney Pine - Spirituality (Destin E)

The title had me thinking ooh he’s gone a bit Pharoah Sanders for this one. Its actually a follow on from Songs (The Ballad Book) with pianist Zoe Rahman and on some tracks a string quartet. Interpreting vintage songs like All Through The Night, Blue Moon, Motherless Child etc along with original pieces like Your Majesty and the title track.

A nice chilled reflective vibe pervades

:heart:

2 Likes

Listening back, I have to say I think of the two Song is the better

:heart:

2 Likes

I’m quite a novice when it comes to this genre.

I started reading through this post last night and felt as though I was back in university :exploding_head: :joy:

The knowledge displayed on this forum is unreal :muscle: and certainly makes it easier for us novices. I’m going to take it slowly though as I know I won’t like all of it. However, I do appreciate that there are soooooo many sub-genres here and I’ll try not to upset the experts/die hard following.

I recently discovered ‘Chet Baker’. Wow, his music is so beautiful and I cannot believe I have only started listening now :cry: I have most of his ‘SteepleChase’ recordings but will probably buy many more.

So, if I really like Chet’s work, could you please recommend other artists that I may like?

Many thanks in advance.

Oh, some of the vinyl collections on display in this thread are immense :clap:

Chet was a one-off but if you like lyrical trumpet (and flugelhorn) try Art Farmer.

2 Likes

I love Chet Baker - have 150+ albums
Art farmer is great, if you wished to branch out a bit I can recommend - very different but ?! :heavy_minus_sign:

1 Like

@Richard , interesting and thanks. I will check him out.

@Ian , 150 + albums :crazy_face:
Thanks for the recommendation.

Checked and correct, I like Art Farmer. Three CDs ordered.

Many thanks :+1:

Art at his most lyrical…

3 Likes

Vol.1. - Nenad Vasilic

2 Likes

I’m having a listen to this after seeing a random post on Facebook - really rather good.

1 Like

Till Brönner 2012 Verve / Germany CD / 060253719115

This is more recent than Chet but nevertheless a very good and satisfying recording featuring Till Brönner on Trumpet and Flugelhorn.

6 Likes

Thanks @GeoffC, I will check it. :trumpet:

1 Like

Good tunes, beautifully played.

1 Like

I think one of his - if not - first albums: Red Garland ; stunning
Iver

5 Likes

This is one of my favorite new jazz albums of the year. I can’t stop listening to it. It’s been a while since I bought an album that gets so many repeat plays in such a short amount of time. My wife and I have plans to see this group at the Big Ear Festival in Knoxville, TN next spring, along with the Charles Lloyd/Bill Frisell/Thomas Morgan Trio.

We saw the pianist in this group – Gerald Clayton – with another Charles Lloyd Trio (Ocean Trio) in Denver early November and he was fantastic.

7 Likes

Nothing but wonderful
One of the best I listend to lately
Iver

9 Likes

This artist is highly talented; found thanks to the brilliant Roon amgorithm :slight_smile:

Iver

2 Likes

I follow a jazzfan on Instagram who,posts some cool albums; today he posted this and I tried it; very cool

Iver

7 Likes

You love your Roon Algorithm :joy:

1 Like