Jazz Music Thread

Sorry for the very late reply, I missed this thread originally.

I recommend Miles Davis for anyone wanting to get into jazz. But he produced so many records, in so many ‘styles’ that the choice can seem bewildering. So where to start?

I suggest two, ‘Sketches of Spain’ and ‘In A Silent Way’, both widely available on LP or CD. (I’m pretty sure that Miles would have been an avid vinyl hoarder!)

1 Like

Start with Louis’ Hot 5s and work your way forward.

Why start your education with such a late comer.

1 Like

If we’re to go further back, you cannot do better than Bix Beiderbecke, whose tragic life was - sadly - cut short by his drug addiction. Brilliant stuff, despite that!

Try this, The Skin Tree Project : Trance (2022).

Three really quite good musicians, out of Madrid.

They describe themselves as “Jazz / Swing”.
Personally, I get so much more than just those two genres, when listening to the above brilliant album.

The guitar work, is amazing, by itself.
The interplay between themselves - for example electric guitar and double bass - is so clever.

Give it a go and please let me know what you think?

KR
R

1 Like

On vinyl LP - Recorded live at Pizza Express in 1982. If I had heard this when I was younger I would have liked to try to learn trombone - super !
Starts with a 13min version of ‘Straight No Chaser’

Bill Watrous (tr)
Brian Dee (p)
Len Skeat (b)
Martin Drew (d)

2 Likes

Why not? The exploration doesn’t have to be chronological or linear.

1 Like

One I’d forgotten about. Used to have the vinyl.

1 Like

Indeed.
But could you comprehend history by what happened yesterday or a year ago?
Many can accept a musical piece without wanting to understand its construction or how it might have come into being but I am not of that persuasion. I am a jazz archeologist. Think of me as Mick Aston from Time Team…Good likeness.Less hair here.

Unless I can understand the building blocks of any art form that interests me it has no form. It must relate to what has gone before. Artistic vacuums do not exist. I find it difficult to work a reverse timeline.
I admit to becoming quite lost with jazz after mid ‘50s. I cannot find the connection or draw a line to the masters with whom I grew up and tend to think of it as beyond my understanding.My loss,I understand and I have tried.

1 Like

:wine_glass: :notes:

2 Likes

I hoped that would be on Qobuz as I used to love that rhythm trio.
But no.
Any one liking big bands with a powerful system and big speakers might enjoy this…

The arrangements and recording are crisp and beautifully executed by what I suppose is a LA session orchestra. Bobby Shew adds some punch to the trumpet section.
Solos sharp,short and fitting. Just wished it swung a bit more.

1 Like

Another classy piano trio:

4 Likes

New artist for me, Oscar Peterson.

Watched a programme on iPlayer with Oscar and Ella Fitzgerald as his guest. I just loved the way he played the piano with such verve, delicacy and joy. Not to mention his phrasing. I understand he was classically trained as a youngster.

So these CDs are now on their way to me:

5 Likes

and this CD too:

7 Likes

I like it. Listenable yet complex.

1 Like

Two of my favourites are ‘We Get Requests’ and the 4CD set ‘Exclusively for my Friends’. They are well worth getting hold of.

3 Likes

Thanks HH. I’ll look at those too :+1:

1998 and very nice too !
Scott Hamilton (ts)
Bucky Pizzarelli (g)

5 Likes

Try this one too

The Very Tall Band Live At The Blue Note

And any of his recordings for the MPS label.

The 8CD Exclusively For My Friends mentioned by HH is a great choice but pricey. For a more affordable option the 2CD Best Of The MPS Years

5 Likes

Many thanks.
Was looking at your first recommendation only an hour ago.
I ordered 4 more CDs today, taking my Oscar Peterson count to 11 now as of Sunday. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
I played parts of the songs via Discogs to make sure I liked them. So far, haven’t heard anything I don’t like atbh I love them.
I just think his music is played so beautifully :grin:

1 Like

@MrDom just to clarify, there were two Exclusively For My Friends sets, an earlier 4CD set and the 2015 8CD edition

2 Likes