Jazz Music Thread

Sonny Stitt on top form in a lively set with a good band.

1 Like

Very little history available for either horn players.
Joe’s only leader date although he does seem to have been connected to Tad Dameron. Johnny Griffin mixed with Gene Ammons.
John Hunt spent time with Ray Charles. Round,gentle tone.
Two great stylists just abandoned by the music business bean counters.
The other three reprobates should be well known.
On Qobuz.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Curtis Amy recommendation @Nick1940 ; totally my style
Love it
Iver

1 Like

Constantly being berated by a friend because of my indifference to Archie Shepp and his music I tried a couple of ‘lighter’ offerings.

Horace Parlan I knew couldn’t upset me and Richard Davis a fine rock steady bass player so in I dived…

So pleased to tell you the water is warm and far more enjoyable that I prophesied. Great to be proved wrong after so many years.

Have a quick burst on Qobuz if you are not already a fan.

4 Likes

Very pleasant listening

There is a second Shepp/Parlan album - Reunion - with a good selection of standards.

1 Like

Classic early Shepp…

81gDKw8xt2L.UF350,350_QL50

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

Always cracks me up :joy:

1 Like

Monica Ramey and the Beegie Adair Trio

Fabulous bass on The Stroller and some accessible Shepp. Album is The Way Ahead.

1 Like

Thank you Dave and Richard but the water there is a little too choppy for my jazz life belt.

I read on the Qobuz review by the Jurek man that it’s… Guttersnipe Swing.

Hmmmm.

@Nick1940 just listening to Archie Shepp & Richard Davis. Your recommendations are phenomanol !! What a stunning listen
Thanks !!
Iver

2 Likes

A good hearted bash. Straight down the middle of the road.

Well recorded and designed to frighten any spiders lurking in the bass elements of your loudspeakers.

I discovered it on Qobuz.

4 Likes

A few posts backi mentioned that I had enjoyed Archie Shepp and Horace Parlan playing together so was saddened to learn that Brother Parlan had left us. Made 86……… (you get to my age you count them years)

Although a BlueNote and Mingus stalwart I enjoyed much of his later Scandinavian output.

Always amazed the music that he was able to bring forth from that poor old right hand.

Thanks. Old timer.
IMG_1795

6 Likes

Fab live album from the Jazz Messengers. Wish I’d been there.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I remember Fats from those days.

Cd on Qobuz sounds quite sweet and clean. His vibe stylings are midway between Hampton and Jackson.

Three middlin’help mates.

A lovely rediscovery for me.

2 Likes

Love this album, anyone care to recommend more in a similar vein?

Les made a decent living with his block chords and Pentecostal approach to jazz and was very popular in LA for sometime. He even tried singing.
Qobuz has heaps to choose from.
As a true jazzer? Hmmm
Try
IMG_1813
IMG_1811

Others seem to bring out the best in him.

On Qobuz,but perhaps with different covers.

Perhaps try Gene Harris or Monty Alexander.

3 Likes

Thanks for that - will have a listen tonight.