Jazz Music Thread

Joy - a short-lived British jazz band.

Found it on Tidal by searching under Chris Francis, the tenor player.

4 Likes

Thx Richard - I also read RWs article and went looking. Jeez it’s well buried. Hint to others go to Chris Francis then look under Credits to one of his tracks then link to the album.

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Interesting post, thanks. Nice to see the nod to Moses Boyd by the author

Found it on Qobuz, not that easy to search but I enjoy Harry Beckett Joy Unlimited which is also on Cadillac records and was able to link it from there

1 Like

Timely coincidence. I see Pure Pleasure are re issuing this for those who still play gramophone records

2 Likes

Amancio D’Silva - Ganges

Taken from his 1969 record Integration on Columbia’s Lansdowne Series produced by Denis Preston.

1 Like

Always regret passing on a near mint copy of the original LP when it was half way affordable !

The vinyl reissue (on Pheon I think) is really good though.

Chet’s first day at proper work with Charlie Parker.

4 Likes

New to me but been around longer than I have. Looks an interesting character.
IMG_1841

The rather strange take on the well known tunes expose some harmonies that Monk might have enjoyed. Play together with Thelonious’ Ellington selection on Riverside.

I enjoy how small fragments of the original tunes keep appearing and dissolving in the mist. Similar to some of Samuel Barber’s classical orchestrations.

Swing certainly ain’t the thing.

Right,enough of the whispy etherials. Back to business.
IMG_1842

I was reading about Jan Johansson on Organissimo jazz thread. Central heating servicing engineer late!
Stan and he enjoyed a decent musical relationship so they went on tour.

This is solid Stan. Ray is in charge and knows from note one where the beat should be placed and so ably supported by Ed. JATP training school.
Jan was a melodic pianist to whom Stan would obviously gravitate.

Then Stan went to Ipanema and was lost to me till those near death sessions with Kenny Baron.

On Qobuz.

4 Likes

Organissimo.org - good site ! Some knowledgable jazz folks on there.

Organissimo the band are pretty good too !

1 Like

On the subject of Amancio, I notice that Trunk have just reissued Joe Harriott’s ‘Hum Dono’ on vinyl. The obvious question is - why? The Dutton Vocalion LP reissue was pretty good, I wonder what audio source was used by Trunk for this one. Dutton Vocalion used Adrian Kerridge’s studio master, so can’t see that there is much additional to be gained other than perhaps a better sleeve.

Just released

2 Likes

What a lovely record ‘In A Silent Way’ is, and unlike any other record that MD made. ! I love that you can hear the valves of the amps humming throughout the record.

3 Likes

Hey @graham55, you disappeared for a couple of weeks. Things all good with you?

Hi, QS. My ‘radio silence’ was forced upon me by some clucking knobhead coming into my house and stealing my virtually new Apple Mac (as well as my wallet and iPhone).

I’ve given a statement to the boys in blue, and if I have to go to court to give evidence, I intend to hit the clucker hard between his legs with my walking stick!

2 Likes

Ah man! That’s rough.
Glad your okay, let’s hope they catch the little SH1T!

1 Like

They have him on film from various CCTV cameras in the street, and he is apparently well known to the rozzers. Just let me at him for a bit of retributive justice!

5 Likes