Jazz Music Thread

Damn glad you’re ok, stealing stuff is such a low act. Take care.

3 Likes

Thanks @Dynaudio1 I’ve just ordered a copy from Trunk as I don’t have the 2015 reissue and copies go for over £50 now so I’ll take a chance on this.

I hope someone eventually reissue’s Amancio’s 1971 release Reflections with Stan Tracey.

Mainly Jon Hendricks’ lyrics. Charlie Rouse,George Mraz and others appear.

Crystal clear on Qobuz.

4 Likes

Telarc LP. Great arrangements by Thad Jones after he had left the orchestra.

1 Like

‘Reflections’ is a bit MOR with much of it with string arrangements so I suspect unlikely for reissue, although you never know.

I was lucky enough to come across a cheapish but good copy years ago now.

1 Like

4 Likes

This is stompin’…

First official CD release of the Opening Night on February 7, 1966 and March 21, 1966 recordings endorsed by the estates of Thad Jones & Mel Lewis. 2-CD set features previously unheard and unreleased live recordings from the Village Vanguard.

Enjoy

Dave

5 Likes

I keep an eye out for this book available in U.K. It is so heavy international postal costs are prohibitive. Book itself is €74 from JM in Barcelona.

Specifically about the Jones/Lewis band.

Would fit well with the Mosaic box.

2 Likes

Have that one - bought from the authors. They also do a big PDF supplement at additional cost.

The early sections cover Jones/Lewis. Later sections cover the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra (with and without Mel).

The Mosaic box is essential IMO. Collects all of the SS/Blue Note albums (plus extra tracks) and takes out the Sonny Lester reverb.

Some fabulous and well recorded bass on this one:

Dorothy Ashby was mentioned a short time ago on this thread and I was grateful for the introduction to this unique artist. I just noticed a nice article on her published by The New Yorker on June 9th. Well worth a read.

1 Like

Hal was an odd stylist originating in soul clubs and then running up against David Murray.
His later life was lived in Europe.
This cd isa fine cameo of his slightly quirky style that embodies both of those influences.
Italian pianist aquit themselves honourably.
The drummer, Bobby Durham, Oscar’s man for a while sings us a couple of songs.
Clear recording on Qobuz.

Have to recommend a Jazz radio channel. Might have been up before. It’s Jazz Groove channel mainly Mix 1 but Mix 2 offers great music too. I’ve discovered more great jazz my first week than with Qobuz the last couple of years (using shazam). Paid users at 10USD/month will access FLAC which I stream to my NDS via Audirvana. There’s a free 128kbps version in the naim iRadio app.

I often listen to the freebie in bed at night. Jazz 24 is another decent station. Alexa enjoys that as well.

1 Like

Magnificent.

3 Likes

Legendary!

1 Like

Lovely.

Recently re engineered and on Qobuz.

6 Likes

Just arrived, looking forward to exploring over the weekend

3 Likes

A classy, tasteful guitar/organ quartet with some very low notes on the organ which stretched my Mu-so 2

1 Like

What a fascinating character. 90 years old and still working.
Your selection not on Qobuz but a fine alternative with Chico his nephew (son of Von)
All in the family.

A great discovery,thank-you.

IMG_1857

2 Likes