Jazz Music Thread

Ruslan Sirota

Fruits of the Midi

Good band.

Also a member of the Bob Reynolds Group; listen to his album Runway:

The Nathan Davies - Hip Walk LP that arrived this week prompted a liitle peek down a Clarke/Boland rabbit hole

6 Likes

All of those are great. Check out the Rearward ‘More From The Golden Eight’ if you can find it.

1 Like

Thanks!
My Golden Eight is an MMJ33 that I had forgotten about and was prompted to redisciver after seeing Clarke/Boland/Woode playing on Hip Walk…

Yes I discovered the Rearwood label on Qobuz, The Ronnie Scotts recording is from them so I’ll see if they have your recomendation.
Cheers

1 Like

5 Likes

5 Likes

Hey - like this album Part 1.

Another good one from Steeplechase.

1 Like

Lovely little studio session - seems as though Wes just arrived, and all 4 players are really enjoying how well the band plays as they get to know each other.

This a great documentary/interview/biog of Art Pepper (featuring his wife).

What a man, what a player.

2 Likes

I feel sleep is a while away yet so this collection will get it’s second run of the night.

Stereo over separation seems worse on the first lp but gradually improves. But the sound is clear,bright and of its time.
Never heard the Monk tribute before .Griffin of course quite at home Jaw doing better with the ballads.

Just listen to Gales and Riley. No wonder Monk used the pairing. Only experience and ‘feel’not a cosy life in Music college or rich Europe will get you anywhere near that.

Junior reads a few of his stock sermons.

Thanks Jordi for another fine compilation.

Later.
Played on the main system the stereo separation is not so pronounced but boy do you loose some of the wonderful Gales/Riley magic.

1 Like

Cant seem to see it on Qobuz. According to discography on Wiki I can see albums titled More, More Smiles but not More From The Golden Eight.
Could you have meant Encore?

Giving Miles a second chance for me. So playing this.

I’m definitely more ‘West Coast Jazz’, but going to try again. :trumpet: :saxophone:

4 Likes

Yes. that’s it.

1 Like

Ok thanks!
The above image is the LP from Discogs.
Although Qobuz has a lot available from Rearward, for some reason not Encore.
Found this though on Qobuz from Black Sheep Music which looks like the same album, added to my playlist for later.

Oh! Literally as writing my Graham Collier just landed, hope its ok given both you and blackstar have noted some surface noise.
Cheers
:heart:

1 Like

Who dat?

Most famous for being Clint Eastwood’s musical associate on many of his films specially Bird.

Lovely long improvised lines. Bob has a blow through anything to hand.
Frank a right handed but fine pianist. ‘Tother two appear on many of these remember the West Coast series.

A beautifully recorded late,melodic outing with the best off friends that shows of his arranging skills.

As ever,Qobuz.

2 Likes

‘Kind Of Blue’ is wonderful, but ‘In A Silent Way’ may be an easier intro to Miles Davis’s output, which varied greatly over the years.

2 Likes

I actually didn’t mind it and gave it a second play.

I have In A Silent Way so will listen next week.

I understand Miles is legendary with millions of fans. I’m sure rightfully so.

I don’t like improvised Jazz too much and prefer pieces that have more composition. Just my taste.

2 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of jazz, but I like most of Miles Davis’s output. I confess that I don’t ‘get’ ‘Bitches’ Brew’.

Have you listened to Dave Brubeck or Horace Silver?

I recommend both of them as classic trad jazz.

Or another Miles Davis recommendation would be ‘Sketches Of Spain’ - particularly if you like Rodrigo’s ‘Concierto de Aranjuez’.

Maybe try Big Fun?