Jazz Music Thread

I tracked down a copy of the one on the bottom left because it was the last issue that included LPs. I’ve found it invaluable – even if Messrs. Cook & Morton’s tastes don’t always align with mine – to the extent that it’s never far out of arm’s reach.

IMG_1576

1 Like

Her new album should be very interesting…

IMG_1954

Starts withSecret Love and a rather military feel from Lewis Nash.

First pop song I ever learnt the words to. The Doris Day version was top of the pops in 1953. Sang it to my first girl friend,we were out on our bikes.
I only had a girls’ bike (still an asset in 1953) so I think I was really unworthy of her attention.

Kenny Barron’s Voyage makes a nice comparison with the Getz version.
Todd seems to have always been Moody’s go to bassist.

On Qobuz.

That’s what you want in a jazz revue… teenage lust. Not simply ‘this is good’

1 Like

Stan Getz and pianist Kenny Barron were perfect partners and played regularly together in the last five years of Getz life. I remember hearing them at the Royal Festival Hall.

Voyage is one of his best late career albums.

Dave

7 Likes

I would have enjoyed hearing that. Stan was one of the major talents that I never got to see live. I was supposed to go and hear him at the original Ronnie’s but never managed it.
Ronnie reckoned Stan was the worst of the saxophone prima donnas to deal with.
‘Bit stiff,slipped disc. Bending over backwards to try and please our current guest.’

I’m very fortunate to know some jazz musicians that were around when Getz was on the circuit and they used to call him Gitz because he was so unpredictable and awkward.
Zoot Sims who had known Getz since their time with Herman, once described him as “a nice bunch of guys”, an allusion to his unpredictable personality.
Bob Brookmeyer , another performing colleague, responded to speculation Getz had a heart operation with a query: “Did they put one in?

3 Likes

If only his playing was a bit more unpredictable and less boring (runs for cover :joy:)

2 Likes

• Stan Getz – tenor saxophone
  • Chick Corea – piano
  • Ron Carter – bass
  • Grady Tate – drums

Released on the Verve label in 1967.

The Allmusic review by Steve Huey states that Sweet Rain is “one of Stan Getz’s all-time greatest albums,” and “the quartet’s level of musicianship remains high on every selection, and the marvelously consistent atmosphere the album evokes places it among Getz’s very best. A surefire classic”

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

What a jewel !!
Just released

Iver

6 Likes

…and includes Kenny Barron’s Voyage in a mainly standards programme.

Dave

1 Like

Very nice indeed!

1 Like

Managed to organise for this LP to arrive ready for Father’s Day in Aus.
Really enjoying it on digital platforms.

Cheers

Will

2 Likes

That Luxman SACD player is a stunner! :smiling_face:

1 Like

"Jazzmeia Horn’s second album ‘Love and Liberation’ invites listeners to embrace passion and freedom through her strong vocal prowess, scat-singing ability and eight original songs that surpasses the promise of her GRAMMY award-nominated debut ‘A Social Call’.

The album includes the all-star rhythm section Victor Gould (piano), Ben Williams (Bass), Jamison Ross (drums) accompanied by Stacy Dillard (tenor saxophone), Josh Evans (trumpet) and special guest Sullivan Fortner (piano).

With an assured maturity and vocal confidence far beyond her years, Jazzmeia Horn’s stardom has continued to rise since winning first place at the 2013 Sarah Vaughan International Jazz Vocal Competition and receiving top honours at the 2015 Thelonious Monk Competition.

These successes led to the release of her debut album, ‘A Social Call’ (Prestige), which was nominated for a GRAMMY Award and voted the best jazz vocal debut in the 2017 NPR Music Jazz Critics Poll."

PROPER MUSIC

Enjoy

Dave

7 Likes

Following your recommendation and a favourable review from AMG, I thought I’d better give it a try, but I’m afraid it’s not for me. However, when the sickly tone and predictable note choice from Getz’s instrument is silent, it’s a really great piano trio! YMMV.

Obviously. To quote…

"Sonny Rollins, the contemporary tenor most admired by Coltrane, always had a richer tone, and Coltrane himself said of the mellifluous Stan Getz, “Let’s face it–we’d all sound like that if we could.

Dave

Many thanks.
It certainly loves to play Jazz :smiling_face:

1 Like

@Nick1940 I just listened to the Moody 4A album; what a nice discovery !! It’s beautiful music
Iver

Georgie Fame’s very obvious vocal mentor.
Some new words to old favourites.

Great character and bop pioneer. Death similar to that of Lee Morgan.
You have to be good to assemble an accompanying arkester of those musicians.

On Qobuz.

3 Likes