Jazz Music Thread

Have this on vinyl, one of my most treasured records.

1 Like

Lovely.
What is the year of your pressing?
Does it sound good?

Bill Evans Trio - Explorations - 1987 - Riverside 2521860372 - Recorded in New York City, February 1961

First play. Already after the first track it’s lovely :grin:

7 Likes

Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor - 2011 - EJC EJC55484

Sounding incredible I have to say. Wonderful recording and music. :grin:

6 Likes

@MrDom - Fairly sure you would enjoy these too ?!

Boss tenor in particular is really good !

4 Likes

Thanks.
Whilst listening to this album, it’s as if he is speaking to you with each and every note he plays.
Incredible :exploding_head:

1 Like

Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker - Reunion - 1988 - EMI-Manhattan CDP 746857 2

Recorded in New York, December 1957

First play. Great way to start the morning. :grin:

3 Likes

@MrDom , sorry for delay in replying.

I’m very pleased with the quality of my JC Ballads LP. I’m hoping the attached photos assist with reissue and dates.

2 Likes

John Scofield - Swallow Tales

4 Likes

I heard this turgid reworking of Duke and Bill’s Nutcracker on Radio 3 record review.

I am not sure what the point of the recording was unless to lead us to…

An early festive treat. Twinkly,sparkly and it swings. Sam was obviously given the job of chopping down the tree with those ferocious rim shots.
Beautiful.
Both on Qobuz.

2 Likes

8 Likes

My favourite of all the suites….

Duke’s relation ship with Wild Bill and his organ are quite special.

I am a student…

2 Likes

Stanley Dance’s The World of Duke Ellington has a section on Wild Bill Davis.

To quote “the man who basically deserves the credit (or blame, depending on how you look at it) for the organ boom is Bill Davis, a serious intelligent muscian once mistakenly nicknamed ‘Wild’”.

According to Wiki Jimmy Smith switched from piano/organ to organ permanently in 1954 after hearing Wild Bill Davis.

Dave

1 Like

This Ellington book is in my current reading pile. The full story of the 1956 Newport appearance.

1 Like

Thats a serious who’s who line up on that. :+1:t2:

That is a truly splendid album!

1 Like

Glad you like it Clive :+1:t2:

1 Like

Missed that one. On its way from a warehouse in Indiana.
Ta.

Nothing so drastic required to get my copy, just a few pounds in a lucky find. In fact I have a pending pile of other Ellington books to work through, including the one by Stuart Nicholson.

Need to get used to this newly released album a little. Some parts I love, some others a little less
Iver

3 Likes