Jazz Music Thread

Qobuz is overrated,I think.

1 Like

Qobuz + Roon = Music listening bliss. :grinning:

Dave

Does Roon modify the signal coming from Qobuz? I do find the ripped CD can usually sound better than the same album on Qobuz, often better than even the HiRes version on Qobuz, but I wasn’t aware that Roon could improve Qobuz.

I’m not implying Roon can improve Qoduz, although there is plenty of opportunity to modify the sound envelope in the settings, merely that, for me, in the broadest sense, it provides a very fulfilling listening experience.

1 Like

I’ve always liked ‘Live to Tell’ from this album.

2 Likes

IMG_2136

If you have some large immersive speakers this big band might sound very impressive as it is so well recorded. The chortling woman singer on a few tracks are not for me.

Not really what my Falcons were designed for. I am probably getting about 75% of what’s there.

On Qobuz.

1 Like

Classy be-bop piano on some timeless tunes.

1 Like

Maybe you’re a young guy, but not all of us can read such tiny print so easily.

Thanks for contributing, but I really wish people would say what they are posting, instead of just throwing up a screen grab from their phone with illegible or barely legible print. Something to consider if you all don’t want people ignoring what you post.

1 Like

I was nearly reeled in until I read the vocal comment I can’t stand them it’s instrumental for me.
If I see the vocal word in the lineup it goes back in the shop rack or dismissed. :-1:t2:

1 Like

Apologies. I’m 75. It is possible to enlarge the screenshot but you are right. Full details in future.

The album in question was SIR ROLAND HANNA, BIRD TRACKS.

1 Like

Thank you for being understanding. I have said similar on other forums and ended up mocked for it.

Not sure why they put her on the album. It didn’t seem to fit musically.
I am sure it is a secret that will not be revealed at this late date.

It is worth skipping her caterwauling because there are several takes and breaks of Worksong with Cannonball that show how they got to a final take.

Go on. Give it a go.

1 Like

Might have a tip toe the line up is very impressive thanks. :+1:t2:

Dropped his Liberian Knighthood for this album I see.

Not a great favourite of mine. Too florid and fussy.

Tunes you can sing a long with.

Duke Ellington- Ellington in Order (Sony Legacy recordings Vol 1-7 at digital music files providers, Qobuz etc)
Vol 1: 1927-28, Vol 2: 1928-30…Vol 7 (today at HDTracks): 1936-37.
Recorded material that Sony owns:- Victor, Columbia, Okeh, Brunswick… great!
Duke in order V1

3 Likes

A new album, called 3, by one of my favourite musicians, Abdullah Ibrahim. Very sparse and reflective.

2 Likes

The first few chords and you know it is Dollar.

Honestly, I prefer those early South African albums but that’s my straight ahead backward looking kinda jazz.

1 Like

IMG_2143

McBride walks and holds it together so well.
Scott knows he has to fill the holes.
Hargrove was my favourite of all the younger trumpet players. His Gillespian style always seemed to want to interact with his audience rather than turn his back on it.
On Qobuz.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. Used to have the cd.

Oddly I didn’t know of this one, thank you. Laura is beautiful