Jazz Music Thread

listening to GoGo Penguin on Tidal this pm - lovely tone and balance and alteration of rythmns…
e.g. the tracks:

• Murmuration
  • Transitory state
  • Garden Dog Barbeque
    and many others
3 Likes

Esjborn tragically died in a scuba diving accident a few years ago but the 2 remaining trip members have now joined fellow Norwegian Bugge Wesseltoft to form Rymden and they were live at Cheltenham Jazz Festival last Saturday. Well worth listening to with some great ‘European’ modern jazz although it may not suit the purists. Have a listen to their recently released album Reflections and Odysseys

More about the band here:

https://www.rymden-music.com/

Bob

4 Likes

the 2 remaining members are Swedish, Bugge is indeed Norwegian…OK…what’s the difference?..they are all Vikings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Peet - thanks for the correction I should have said Scandinavian - its the same over here as I don’t think the Welsh or Irish would like being called English or British. Also of course there are a lot of Viking genes over here from when the Danes invaded and partly colonised us. Back to Rymden - its great music and they are a very energetic band who are a joy to listen to and watch live particularly as the seem to have so much when playing

1 Like

No problem, thanks for bringing this new constellation to my attention! very interesting music;

2 Likes

There’s a great little playlist on Tidal - Instrumental Jazz.
All sorts of good tracks there incChick Corea, Blagutten, etc.

some jazz and jazzy music I’ve been enjoying recently:

Vikingur Olaffson - Bach Reworks (Pt. 2)

Brad Mehldau - Bach piano - and track Spiral

Nils Frahm - All Melody

Szun Waves

Robocobra Quartet

Ray Brown - Summerwind

Oscar Peterson - JATP - track: The Blues

The Essential Mahavishnu Orchestra with John McLaughlin

My favourite Japanese jazz performance - Isao Suzuki and Tsuyoshi Yamamoto. And the famous audiophile label Three Blind Mice.

3 Likes

Would be interested - where can I buy a flac file ?

You can find some CDs and LPs on Discogs.
I’m not aware for a HiRes releases.

Very pleased to read that the vinyl issue of this one is being done by Gearbox Records.

1 Like

Something a bit more modern well for me at least but from about five years ago.

1 Like

Mélanie De Biasio (Wiki)

It was celebrated in jazz circles, largely ignored by the rest of the world - even though de Biasio’s jazz was quite different. Reduced, minimalist, barren were the arrangements, the vocal performance is subdued. (Plattentest de)

Anyone who hears Melanie De Biasio’s voice for the first time inevitably thinks of big African American singers like Billie Holiday or Nina Simone. The music of the Belgian with Italian father does not sound like Europe. Soul, blues, R & B, and jazz mix with a dash of trip hop to a fascinating cocktail.
[…]
In addition to vocal skills, she develops into a multi-instrumentalist, who ie Flute, piano and guitar mastered. Especially jazz and soul have done it stylistically. (Laut de)

Two records by an extraordinary jazz singer.

No Deal

31HiuJJzNLL

Lilies

51ZEq9PaH7L

Enjoy
Hermann

6 Likes

Another record that I highly recommend to any jazz fan.

Rabih Abou-Khalil (Wiki)

Abou-Khalil studied the oud at the Beirut conservatory with oudist Georges Farah. After moving to Germany, he studied classical flute at the Academy of Music in Munich under Walther Theurer.

He has often blended traditional Arab music with jazz, rock, and classical music, and has earned praise such as “a world musician years before the phrase became a label—makes the hot, staccato Middle Eastern flavour and the seamless grooves of jazz mingle as if they were always meant to.” With Anouar Brahem he has helped highlight the oud as a vehicle of world fusion. One critic likened Abou-Khalil’s oud playing style to jazz guitar, writing, “Abou-Khalil spins more oud notes in ten seconds than most jazz guitarists do in their short commercial lifespans”

Nafas is my favorite record, besite alot others, like Blue Camel, Sultan’s Picnic, Cactus Of Knowledge or *Yara and Between Dusk and Dwan. Paying special attention to the last one will be worthwhile.

1 Like

Give this one a try. So far Alexi was involved and created some great records. Easy to digest and not too common. This album is a refreshing addition. It is an album with more musical tension, not so easy at the ear as the others, but therefore also highly interesting…

2 Likes

Just enjoyed once again the marvellous track by Tony Williams Morgan’s Motion off the LP The Joy of Flying.
Also a dark piece called Modul 60 by Nik Bartsch’s Ronin…
And a A different Time by John Medeski.

1 Like

now listening to Miles D. Dark Magus again - esp the tracks Wili 1 and 2.
Brilliant music, great per ussion …such confidence in the delivery and improvisation …

1 Like

The garden by Brad Mehldau
He has a genius for creating sweet flowing melodies but adding subtle and not so subtle off notes that give the tunes another dimension of feeling

A quick heads-up for those who may not be aware; Blue Note Records is celebrating its 80th Anniversary and one of the highlights the launch of the Blue Note 80 vinyl reissue series. Over the year, each month there will be three LPs released. This month (May) we have Dexter Gordon’s Doin’ Allright, Herbie Hancock’s Takin’ Off, and Robert Glasper’s Canvas. The last one is a particular highlight as AFAIK it’s the first time it has been released on LP.

According to Blue Note, “The series will be all-analog whenever an analog source is available with Kevin Gray mastering directly from the original master tapes. The albums will be pressed on 180g vinyl at Optimal in Germany.” The best news is that they will be sold at “normal” price.

Needless to say, as soon as I read that Kevin Gray was doing the mastering and cutting I ordered all three of the first releases. Hopefully they will turn out well…

6 Likes

That’s interesting; yesterday I was in a record shop (remember those?) looking at some Blue Note 75th anniversary releases. They didn’t seem to be that ‘normally’ priced to me! I look forward to your reports, although I already have the Dexter Gordon and Herbie Hancock discs from earlier masterings.