Jazz Music Thread

Not sure if already mentioned, but Netflix has a wonderful documentary on Miles Davis. If I am not mistaken it is BBC Produced. Gives a wonderful insights on the life of this very special musician: Kijk “Miles Davis:
https://www.netflix.com/title/80227122?s=i&trkid=14170286

2 Likes

@Nick1940 just played the Nikki Iles album. Thanks for recommending; it is wonderful !!
Iver

1 Like

@Blacknote Many thanks for the Chihiro Yamanaka disc (Syncopation Hazard) you posted about some days ago. I’ve only just seen your recommendation but found it on Qobuz. Only half way through, but I’ve already added it to my favourites. What an enjoyable disc and what fine pianism.

Roger

3 Likes

I’m very glad that you like that album, I discovered this artist one year ago and she’s really very talented. I do also like the recording, it has quite a finesse and a lovely soundstage (drums and cymbals sound great).

4 Likes

Wow…thanks for posting this! I’ve known the photography of W. Eugene Smith for a long time, used to live about 7 blocks south of “The Jazz Loft” on 6th Ave. in NYC, and consider myself fairly well versed in American jazz history, however, I was not familiar with this documentary or the 4000 hours of audio recorded by Smith in the 50’s. I’ll be sure to try and stream the documentary ASAP.

Thanks again!!!

1 Like

Time for some “Potato Head Blues”
CD box set released on Sony/Columbia

3 Likes

7 Likes

Hi @narcom, thanks for recommending Aaron Diehl. I love the album !!!

1 Like

Superb album !

1 Like

The Good Doctor always delivers !

1 Like

I saw Evans on a couple of consecutive evenings with that great trio about 2 months before that engagement. Last UK appearance - left a very lasting impression !

2 Likes

Tal Farlow - The Interpretations of… 1955 (1999 Japan CD re-issue)

5 Likes

John Abercrombie Quartet - Within A Song. A 2011 tribute to formative influences. 88.2/24
John Abercrombie-g, Joe Lovano-ts, Drew Gress-b, Joey Baron-dr

4 Likes

I remember going to see Joe Lovano many years back, I was trying to get my other half more interested in Jazz so we went togethor.
It was all quite “avant garde”, the missus was getting irritated, and when the band started improvising on various sized foil trays that come with cakes and pies it was sadly all over!
:joy:

…which reminds me of the video of Bugge Wesseltoft playing the pizza box in Movement 11.

2 Likes

Another lovely David Stone Martin cover.
I was not familiar with the record.
Will see if it is onQobuz.
N

1 Like

More sad news.
My very favourite British jazz tenor saxophonist has left us.
Don Weller died May 30th
Kind obit. On Jazz Journal website.Trio records website has some fine photographs.
Not well represented on Qobuz but a little music on you tube.
Trio issued Don Weller Quartet…The way you are going to look tomorrow morning. Take on way you look tonight.Please seek it out.
Cd will be in my haversack whenever I climb to heaven. I don’t fancy desert islands.
N

1 Like

:joy:

I’m here listening and enjoying this a lot.

2 Likes