Jazz Music Thread

Milcho Leviev & Charlie Haden - First Meeting
Piano and double base.

2 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

I was a student at UCL in the early 80s. I basically went to Mole Jazz once a week as it was a few minutes walk from there. I picked up loads of LPs from there and never encountered rudeness - maybe they liked the fact that a uni student was into jazz, i don’t know. I also used to buy from their mail order lists.

1 Like

Might well have been rummaging in there the same time as you ! Having said that, student punters weren’t exactly thick on the ground in there, nor were too many interested in jazz.

I always preferred their first shop - before they moved across the road and further down, although the latter store had more space. In the 2nd shop the upstairs second hand vinyl racks were always worth a rummage - although I usually came out of there sneezing thanks to the dust !

1 Like

For tonight’s pleasure.
Volumes i& ii
Well within the bounds of what I know and like.
Very well recorded.
Bill Charlap.
On Qobuz.
See the old boys at work on kind of blue you tube.
Accompanied by La gunitas ipaimage image

N

1 Like

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

3: Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Out (Columbia)

Released in 1959 – the year that Ornette Coleman produced his game-changing free jazz manifesto, The Shape Of Jazz To Come – California pianist Dave Brubeck proved that jazz didn’t have to be wild and way out to be revolutionary and innovative. Time Out album finds Brubeck’s classic quartet (featuring the eloquent Paul Desmond on alto sax) experimenting with a range of unorthodox time signatures but still managing to balance sonic exploration with an accessible selection of tunes. The album spawned an unlikely hit single in 5/4 time (the jaunty, Desmond-written ‘Take Five’) and went on to sell over a million copies.

Key song: ‘Take Five

Enjoy

Dave

11 Likes

Simple Acoustic Trio:

3 Likes

Stefan Aeby - piano
Andre Pousaz - bass
Julian Sartorius - drums

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Wonderful to see Alex Riel still working and recording at the age of 80.
N

1 Like

Say no more…

AllMusic Review by Matt Collar [-]

Christian McBride’s second studio album in 2013, Out Here, finds the adept bassist leading his trio through a jaunty, exuberant set of straight-ahead acoustic jazz. The album follows on the heels of his equally as appealing quintet album, People Music. However, where that album found McBride delving into the knotty post-bop sound of artists like '60s Bobby Hutcherson, Out Here is more of a classic standards album in the vein of works by Oscar Peterson and Duke Ellington. Joining McBride here is his working trio of pianist Christian Sands and drummer Ulysses Owens, Jr., who was also featured on People Music. Both Sands and Owens are superb, technically adroit musicians who complement McBride’s warm, generous bass playing at every turn on Out Here. What’s great about McBride leading his own trio is that because he is fundamentally such a monster of a bassist, he can and does take the lead on any given song just as well, if not better, than many of his non-rhythm section instrument-playing brethren. That said, he certainly lets his bandmates shine in the spotlight throughout much of the album. In fact, as on the trio’s take on “My Favorite Things,” both Sands and McBride take turns interpreting the melody. Elsewhere, they delve into bluesy, gospel-influenced numbers with “Ham Hocks and Cabbage” and “Hallelujah Time,” and jump headlong into a swinging rendition of “Cherokee.” There are also some gorgeous ballads featured on the album, with McBride’s Latin-tinged “I Guess I’ll Have to Forget” standing out among them. McBride even summons the spirit of his more funk and soul-influenced albums with the trio’s giddy album-closing take on the R&B classic “Who’s Making Love.”

Dave

5 Likes

Jerry Cook, tenor saxophone
Chris Gestrin, piano
John Lee, double bass
Jesse Cahill, drums
Dave Sikula, guitar

1 Like

Shelley Manne/Bill Evans with Monty Budwig - Empathy UK Verve (1962)
An excellent version of Danny Boy on here.

3 Likes

Bill Evans was a great interpreter of that tune.

1 Like

The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special - Blue Note Stereo Liberty press (1966)
I’m not a huge fan of the electric organ in Jazz but this record is an exception great backing band too Stanley Turrentine, Kenny Burrell and Donald Bailey.

2 Likes

Freddie Hubbard - The Body & Soul - Impulse Analogue Productions (2010)

Excellent record an excellent back up musicians.

5 Likes