Jazz Music Thread

1 Like

Looks like a later Liberty pressing of that one inside a NY sleeve.

Probably why I won it for £2 plus postage. Luckily for me though it does have the RVG stamps which means according to London Jazz Collector,

" All Disc and other East Coast plants (Keel (serrated edge) , Bestway and finally Columbia’s Pitman) usually had access to original Van Gelder metal, are Van Gelder stamped, and the equivalent of Plastylite quality.
The labels were printed by Blue Note’s original printer, Keystone, who favoured Intertype line-casting machines, and the album/artist font is Intertype Vogue Bold, with “Side 1” upper and lower case and 1 is without serif".

Very interesting stuff. I have a couple of early Miles pressings that I got at knock down prices because they have the wrong covers I have a VG+ 1st press 2 eye copy of ESP that has a later reissue cover that cost me £25 probably half of what it should. I’m only interested in the music and don’t have endlessly deep pockets so I look out for copies that other more serious collectors may over look.

I must say that even though it’s only a VG condition vinyl and a reissue from 1966 the Jimmy Smith still sounds incredibly good.

1 Like

The earlier (and even later) Liberty pressings can sound very good indeed.

There’s an even better version on Time Remembered, which extends to over ten minutes. Give it a listen, but only when you can sit and properly appreciate it - it is an emotional experience.

Yes I think we’ve discussed it before Clive but I’ve still not got round to it. I will though.

Stunning album with lots of great artists like Erberhard Weber, Bill Frisel and Milcho Leviev. Album from 1995 and very well recorded as well

2 Likes

Another couple of Discogs purchases.
From my favourite jazz years. ( tickle toe the Pres and Basie upto
Kinda…Miles ) After that I get lost.:pleading_face:
Bob brookmeyer … I always enjoyed him more with Gerry Mulligan than CB. An equally troubled life but he managed to save himself.
Scott Hamilton… with Mike leDonne
I always thought Concord recordings the equal of RVG’s but I have no knowledge of vinyl remakes.
Not on Quobuz so off to Discogs we went.image image

N

@narcom … I tried this one, lovely …
Iver

1 Like

Those Plastylite Blue Notes can be hit by a nuke and still sound good !

Verve LP - crack version of the Oliver Nelson Big Band.

7 Likes

On Qobuz under Oliver Nelson’s name. Big band sessions from Argo,Verve and Impulse.
Thanks.
N

1 Like

I can only find 4 tracks from the Milt Jackson/Ray Brown band on that cd.
A lot of the rest is not to my taste. BBC jazz night at the proms sorta thing.
Not on cd but vinyl copies on Discogs.
N

That’s also the Mosaic Records Oliver Nelson box set on CD. Yes - just a few of the Brown/Jackson tracks on this. Great box set.

The whole thing is on a Brown/Jackson 2Cd set put out by Verve in the 1990s called ‘Much in Common’.

2 Likes

Found it on Q under ‘Much in common’/ Ray Brown.
Thank you.
N

3 Likes

Just purchased from Bandcamp:

2 Likes

Freddy Cole - To The Ends Of The Earth

2 Likes

2 Likes

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

5: Ornette Coleman: The Shape Of Jazz To Come (Atlantic)
From Fort Worth, Texas, Ornette Coleman made two albums for Lester Koenig’s California-based Contemporary label before joining Atlantic in 1959, where this, his debut for the company, proved one of the most revolutionary albums in jazz. Leading a quartet comprising trumpeter Don Cherry, bassist Charlie Haden and drummer Billy Higgins, Coleman shredded the bebop rulebook by jettisoning orthodox notions of what constituted melody and harmony. In the process, he created a brave new musical language of free-form collective improvisation that shook the jazz world to its core. The Shape Of Jazz To Come was extremely divisive at the time, but its status as one of the best jazz albums in history is secure today; it gave birth to the free jazz movement that would gain momentum as a viable musical currency in the 60s.

Key song: ‘Lonely Woman

Enjoy

Dave

7 Likes