Jazz Music Thread

This music discussed here:

Very good website, btw.

1 Like

That’s a line up! Another one to check out
:+1:

1 Like

Bummer :frowning: I was/am a big fan. Saw him dozens of times at the Bulls Head and other settings. RIP

This evening I was in the mood for just chilling out with a glass of wine and some Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I have a bunch of versions I could reach for, not least the 45rpm Mofi. However, there on the shelf I noticed one I couldn’t recall and what do you know, it was still sealed - I hadn’t heard it yet! It’s the one that came with a magazine about 3 years ago. I bought it because it was cheap, and then must have forgotten about it. So, I’m now playing it, and blow me down with a feather, it sounds really good! The vinyl is clean, flat and centered, and no ticks or pops, and it sounds, well, a LOT better than I would have expected. I have no idea of who cut it and what was the source, but a surprise all the same. I have some others from the series that I haven’t played. I think I’ll crack them open. Hopefully the KoB is not a one off…

P.s. and kudos to whoever did this one, they replicated the original label, and also put it in a decent quality anti-static inner.

8 Likes

Peter King appears quite a bit in this wonderful doc about Annie Ross (towards 3/4):

https://vimeo.com/317095376

We also lost her recently.

More sad news.

N

2 Likes

Back in my cab and treating punters to these two which I’m really enjoying, vinyl on order

:grinning:

1 Like

@anon41143757
Finally got my round tooit
This one ordered along with the above
Cheers

:grinning:

4 Likes

Went on a hunt in the vaults for some Charli.
He drove most of those Dizzy United Nations Touring bands.

But this one will do nicely on Q
N

3 Likes

Recorded at Artesuono Recording Studios, Cavalicco (Udine), Italy
Engineered, mixed and mastered by Stefano Amerio.

3 Likes

A shame there was never a vol. 2.

6 Likes

The first two on the new Acoustic Sounds Verve reissue series now out.
I’ve ordered Louis Armstrong Oscar Peterson as a taster. Not sure if I want the Getz Gilberto …
062020Ume22

Complete MJQ Prestige And Pablo Recordings.

4 Likes

Thanks for the Camilla George tip - played it via Tidal and immediately ordered the vinyl from Juno. Can’t believe I hadn’t heard of her. How many more Trinity Laban virtuosos are there!

1 Like

Check out Christian Scott Axiom - proof if any were needed that jazz is best live, never the same twice etc.

Really propulsive playing in the main leavened by a dreamy version of CSN’s Guinevere and a few more pastoral passages.

Saw him 10 years ago in the open air in plaza Trinidad San Sebastian he kicked up a real storm and was very political. Support to Ron Carter’s Golden Striker trio who we’d really gone to see but for me were pallid in comparison.

Thank you. Found that on Qobuz (with a few blocks).
The early ones withKC sound quite good.I remember them from an Esquire 45 rpm.
JL ever the elegant pianist.
N

BTW Camilla George is on Ronnie Scott’s YouTube livestream on Monday from 7pm. The last couple have been v good - Ashley Henry and Byron Wallen. Enjoy

2 Likes

The Worls is a Paradise by Wes Montgomery ; most recently released
Recommended !

2 Likes

6 Likes