JBL and Naim?

Hi!
I’m a little curious to try the JBL L100 and wonder if anyone here uses JBL speakers? Do JBL and Naim fit together?

3 Likes

I’ve often thought that, I love the look of those JBLs.

2 Likes

They are super cool :sunglasses: maybe as I’m a child of the 70’s I just relate to their style!

2 Likes

I was well and truly on the run in the 70s, but they do remind me of speakers friends had.

They do look the part. I am currently house hunting and saw a 70s split level house that they would look great in. Do people buy houses to match their speakers?

3 Likes

A little Neil Young reference there :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sound first but they need to look the part and fit in with decor!

I used to own some JBL L 16 bookshelf speakers in 1978 powered by a Hitachi GA 330 amp. I remember they were great with rock and were not as “ hifi” as a subsequent purchase of some B&W bookshelves. I suspect I could easily listen to those gorgeous orange grilled JBLs powered by my 250dr.

2 Likes

Is there a better reason? I choose all the wood I use in my furniture projects based on my dog’s color palette.

1 Like

I’ve got a pair of Klipsch Reference 51Ms (think that is right model) that I bought for parties, not exactly the same as JBL’s but sure sounds like a live band when connected to the Naim Supernait 3 setup or anything else for that matter.

Not something I could live with day after day, but for some super raucous fun, well, big smiles can be had.

They also do a fantastic job on Miles.

3 Likes

and for those who think the color of the grill is too challenging, there are always these…

1 Like

Love them visually although pretty pricey for their size……

Dario reviewed them recently.

Dario?

Sorry - Darko:

1 Like

I’ve heard the new ones at a few shows. Impossible to make any judgements under the circumstances of the demo, but I thought they looked great. My main issue was with the stands, which looked like they were missing some important bracing at the front.

FWIW, I have a couple of pairs of JBLs, some L110s and a pair of 4311s that came out of Martin Birch’s old studio. The L110s are rather grown up compared to the earlier L100s, but the 4311s are the real deal. They have their original dark grilles, but I’m really tempted to fit some orange ones to them one day…

3 Likes

Nice to hear Richard. I have a friend who had a pair of JBL 4343 a long time ago and I remember that they sounded absolutely fantastic, which is one of the reasons why I am a little eager to try JBL. And orange is the new black, I’ve heard, so…:grin:

Bjorn, 4343s are one of my dream bucket list speakers. I was first alerted to them by a distributor who rated them very highly. Then, some years later, on a trip to Eastern Germany, I visited a dealer who had a pair that had been rescued from the listening rooms of the old Deutsche Schallplatten plant and had been restored. They were wonderful - astonishing in some ways. I just wanted to hang out there and play music on them all day, this despite being fed only with a relatively modest Naim CD player and integrated amp.

My 4311s are a fair way off from those glorious 4343s but they’re huge fun too, and the thought that they may well have been the very monitors that were used for mixing so many classic albums is really kind of cool…

2 Likes

I have been running a pair of vintage JBL Apollo’s (C51) first with an N-Vi and now with an XS2. Love the effortless sound and sumptuous “theatre sound” bass from the alnico magnet drivers.

Wow! I think we need some pictures…

1 Like