Jumper cable choices

But certainly between the amp and the speaker chassis, not the speaker terminals. Which they are not and can’t be unless you could change the cable inside.

Not that it matters with A5 and or course I used A5 jumpers (as per photos above), but if I were to consider SL jumpers or the like, the completely different cable inside - having different lengths for each terminal - would bother me, and surely I am not the first.

Did anyone go as far as replacing the inside cables?

Well the internal wiring does matter. What you hear from any speaker is the designers choice of All the parts. It’s certainly possible to open up a speaker and change the internal wiring, but who knows how it would sound. You could also build your own speakers and play with all kinds of parts swapping

If cables matter, then of course those on the inside do too, but one wonders about the rationalization for buying expensive jumpers but leaving the inside the same.

Changing the internal wiring will usually be difficult with the internal compartments, drill hole sizes, etc. It’s also a bit surprising that apparently no speaker manufacturer offers the option or designs for easy exchange.

I would play with internal cables particularly if you ever want to sell/trade in the speakers.

Who would know if you did?

I don’t think there is an official reasoning for this. It’s just a personal decision by the user. If it’s too difficult or complicated, one can choose to buy speakers which come in a single pair of binding post instead or 2 (bi-wireable) pairs of terminals.

I can only speak of my rationale, but I wouldn’t spend that kind of money you mention. I thought the brackets provided weren’t even copper, so could be improved upon. I’m assuming the internal wiring is.

Possibly indeed for such a short distance it doesn’t matter, but it would give me piece of mind.

1 Like

Neat job @JimDog! :slightly_smiling_face:
I keep looking despairingly at the back of my system and thinking “how can I possibly tidy this up?” But you have offered some inspiration.
I have even less room behind the system but “domestic constraints” prevent me easily increasing this.
Just one question, is your radiator ever turned on and if so does it cause any problems?

Good reminder - I need to get the pliers out now and turn it all the way off.

Jim

Hey, I just tried to turn the 35 year old plastic handle to cut the flow of hot water to the radiator by my hifi.

As always it was stuck, rusted in place.

Then I remembered the 60 year old Mole wrench my father gave me 40 years ago.

Bingo!

With a bit of fiddling, it bit the plastic, snapped the rust - and now the hifi will suffer a much less variable temperature in the winter.

1 Like

The internal speaker wire does make a great difference, I first started changing internal speaker on my friends Ditton 44’s 35 years ago, even his wife was amazed. My Quad 21 l 2s it made a difference just hard soldering the internal crap spade terminals.

I didn’t say it didn’t, rather that it makes sense that the jumpers and cables are the same, so both sets of posts get the same signal. That’s unaffected by what’s inside the speakers. It’s a different issue.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.