Just ordered new NDX2 πŸ˜ƒ

Had the NDX2 for a few months now and am contemplating either a powerline or Hiline. Which of this would provide a marked improvement in SQ? Don’t have the luxury of demo. Exiting setup includes 252/SCDR/250DR + TPXPS. Thanks.

I would get the HiLine. I have both. The HiLine added a nice improvement to my NDX2, and the PowerLine not as much on the XPS DR. I now have the PowerLine on my SuperCap DR. I may get two more for the XPS and my 300.PS. I will probably try one on my phonostage too.

2 Likes

I have not gone that road yet but I’m sure others will be along to offer advice.

Instead of a PowerLine I have placed a TibiaPlus12 Deep-Cryo AC from AV Options and have a large number of nice reviews on there website from NAIM users if you live in the US.

4 Likes

@JosquinDesPrez just beat me to it. I’d go Hiline first then PowerLine or if in the States the option that seakayker mentions is really good. HiLine just focuses everything at least to my ears/system. I noticed it immediately.

1 Like

Yes, I have TibiaPlus12 Deep-Cryo AC cables and they work well. Right now I have them on my phonostage, XPS DR and 300PS. They are a lot less expensive than used PowerLines.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Will go for the Hiline first. Just to share - I am using both the DIN and RCA output of NDX2 to 252. DIN is standard Naim. For RCA, I am using Mogami 2497 with KLEI Pure Harmony connectors. I felt that the Mogami provides more punch whereas the DIN is more airy/open. As I listen mostly to pop via Tidal, I prefer Mogami.

I wonder if the NDX2 sounds better if only one output is enabled? I went through the exercise of comparing Nordost RCA cables with lavender and HiLine DIN. Once I settled on HiLine I disabled the RCA output.

I tried the various combinations but couldn’t hear any significant difference. Will probably disable other outputs once I have the Hiline in place.

1 Like

Having bought 2 x 1m Isotek Optimum more than 3 years ago and my system having been upgraded a bit since then, I now find PLs better. One possible explanation is that 2m is better suited to the bigger power supplies.

The issue is largely noise, and the big PSs do a good job of generating it.

I know some of you are in the USA so the plugs are different unless you use a UK mains block. The MusicWorks Reflex Ultra G3 with sparkly bottom works extremely well.

Phil

1 Like

:call_me_hand:

Just enjoying my first listen with my new NDX2 and on a new to me full fat Fraim.
Certainly sounding promising.

7 Likes

Picked up my NDX2 today. :grinning: Just got it connected and trying it out. First I’ll listen without the XPSDR, then add that later. Lots of listening ahead!

8 Likes

Hi John,

How was your experience with the Nova and S40s… I have the S40s as well and strongly considering the Nova as its within my budget and i like the practicality. I have Yamaha AS2100 and Hegel Dac for the moment. Source is Laptop. Would you recommend it as a satisfying system for serious listening as well apart from casual background music. How well the Nova controls the S40s and how satisfying is the layering and depth of soundstage ? Thanks.

Tolemeo, the Nova and Special 40s are an excellent match. I auditioned quite a few speakers with the Nova but the 40s were the obvious choice.
I think the Nova and 40s are hard to beat for both sound and value.

2 Likes

Hi, Naim streamers are not really intended to be used with a computer as a source or controller (unless you use Roon) so you should think about what music sources you use, and how they will connect to the Nova.

Not sure about the third party component you got.

Are you sure it’s better than the bare NDX2?

I’ve not tried without the third party component. Will try when I get back from holidays.

Hi Chris,

I use both Roon and Audirvana and apart from Tidal account, i have my hi-res albums stored in networked NAS. I wont be using laptop connected directly with the Nova. Plan to use the laptop for roon core and Nova as endpoint.

Thanks.

OK, then all you need to do is select the Nova as an endpoint for Roon, and you are good to go.

1 Like

Ok, so I’ve had my NDX2 for a week now. Initial impressions were that it wasn’t substantially different from my old ND5XS. After more listening it became apparent that there is more detail across the board. I noticed it mostly in the mid bass region. The highs are just a bit clearer also. I’d have to say that the NDX2 sounds mellower, if that makes sense. Not that the ND5XS was harsh or anything. It’s just easier to listen to. What would be fun would be to switch back to the old one, but i let my friend borrow it to get him into streaming.

Anybody else have their thoughts after the first week or so?

2 Likes